Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hey guys i finally got all parts for PC i installed them but my pc is not turning on for some reason, when i plug it in it makes like a humming sound but i try to push power button nothing happens. heres a pic

Attached Thumbnails

• mboard_redone.JPG

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
the humming sound could be the fan, and you may have your power connector plugged in wrong, (ive done this many times), much of the time, the color coding is not right, recheck the motherboard manual, and double check you have the right plug on the right pin.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
color coding? sorryy i dont understand much of this its the first time i build a pc.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
some times, the plastic base of the pins, are painted a color, ex: red for power switch. then you can just take the red wire from the case and plug it in where its red, this is not always the situation though, sometimes the colors are not acurate to the actuall placement of the pins.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Wouldnt hurt to check the power button wires that go onto the pins on the motherboard. Just check all of the connections in that general area on the board. After that still no luck, just to try it unplug the ATX4P1 connector. Its the auxiliary 12 volt power source that your power supply hooks to. Its the one under the pci slot on the bottom of the board. It mainly just provides additional power for pci express cards like video cards.. That motherboard has the option for 2 12 volt power sources from the powersupply. It wont hurt to unplug that one on the bottom under the pci slot that I said. Its for auxiliary, you dont really need it but its there for more voltage for pci express cards.

Thats all the info I have right now for you to troubleshoot the problem.

Like I said it wont hurt to unplug the ATX4P1 below the last pci slot, its optional in other words for that particular motherboard.

Just make shure you leave the other atx 12volt1 hooked up. (the square tiny one)

I downloaded the user manual for your mobo, so try what I said.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Check if the cpu fan connector is hooked up right onto the motherboard like thebinaryman said, and double check that you pluged in a molex connector from the powersupply to the back of the video card.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
k u dont think its messed up do u, (im trying those things right now)

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea it is still not working, u think i should unplug everything and replug em?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
that can always help, not really "fixing" anything, but it helps you realize stupid problems/mistakes/oversights

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
dont feel bad though, on 3 computer builds i have miswired the case buttons/lights, and the computers would not start up untill i took a 3rd look at the wiring.

PinCushion

PinCushion

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm having a similar problem with the power switch on mine. If the switch is just not compatible is there anything else you can do. I've tried bending some of the prongs to fit what should be the power but still no go.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hey guys, i got it to work, all i did was unplug everything, took out motherboard, checked everything then put it back in and it worked, weird huh. anyway thanks all of you for ur help.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Good job! :tazz:

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
thanks, im happy :tazz: my first PC was a SUCCESS lol, i love my 7800gt btw, blows away my old card my a longshot