Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with gaming build (my first)

• Please log in to reply

0o0o0

0o0o0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone. I've been trying to put together a parts list for a new gaming computer and this is what I got so far. This will be my first build and I need lots of help, I'm sure. Look over my list and let me know if everything is compatible or if anything is overkill. And thanks alot for the help!

Well heres the link to my goods. . .

https://secure.neweg...tNumber=1925054

I threw in a floppy for completeness I guess. CAn't remember the last time I've used one.

About the monitor - I have an old school HP pavillion M70

http://www.recycledg...productID=16997

How will this monitor handle the graphics card?

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
it seems you have cash to splash out but you may be wasting it from what i can see in the list. But firstly, it's not really the monitor being able to or not to handle the gfx card, it's the gfx card being or not being able to take on the monitor, for example, 2 7800GTX in SLI can't run FarCry HDR with Dells 30in beast. How is your res anyways? but to the list

The Raptor is major overkill, anyone knows, unless you game for your life, don't get it, instead get another Caviar and run it in RAID 0. the DVD burner, get a LiteOn one, the SOHW-1693S is your best bet. Also, if you have a CRT then the gfx card is fine but for an LCD, unless you have a 21in don't get the X1900XTX, pure wast of money especially with DX10 coming out will render your lovely baby obselete. instead i suggest you hold off this build until after Vista and DX10 are releases or get the 6800GS and then ditch it when it's underpowered. the thing is, anything above 6800GS and X800GTO is useless as you can't physically see the preformance gain, it's just "there" unless you have a monitor capable of 1600x1200 res. the 6800GS hits the sweet spot between price and preformance, there's no need to splash out on invisible frame rate increases. at least not until DX10 comes out. the DFI mobo is NOT for beginners so don't get that, instead look at the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum or Gigabyte GA-K8NXP9. the gigabyte one is more expensive but both do the job, especially the MSI which is awesome for it's asking pirces. i live in NZ so don't get my to traul through newegg for prices. look at the AMD Skt939 Opteron Dual Cores instead of any Athlons. They have more silicon and are more capable of high overclocks but you need to know a lot. get the 170 or 165. paired witht eh 6800GS, this should meet your gaming needs until DX10 comes out. RAM is good, you won't really need 2Gb, it helps but with two 250Gb WDs in RAID 0, 1 Gb should be enough, still, get 2 Gb is your budget allows for it. but note of AMDs new M2 socket coming out with DDR2 support. i doubt this will last though as DDR3 will appear soon and you'll be looking at a new Skt type by end of 2007. so if in a hurry to game and be the next Fatal1ty, get the Skt939 CPUs now, if you don't plan to upgrade regularly that is. other wise, this is a good PC. get some others to take a look and give me a reply if you need anything, i've got Google Talk and tells me instantly when someone has replied so good luck with this and any questions, just ask

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

The Raptor is major overkill, anyone knows, unless you game for your life, don't get it,

Isn't that the whole idea? :) Imho, the most "bang for the buck". Judge for yourself.

150 gig, 74 gig, 36 gig. RAID 10 anyone?

Matched up with an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1gig Corsair XMMS ram (4 x 256), Pentium 4 3.0 gHz.

Time to boot: 50 Seconds

Battlefield 2 maps average load time is 70 seconds.

Gameplay in Halo is seemless. It is always "loading complete".

Intel Overclock Advisory

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ditch the Raptor the newest 7200rpm drives are faster. Looks good other than that.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I've had that machine for some time now. :)

Over a year me thinks.

And of course the new drives are faster. :)

:tazz:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 05 March 2006 - 10:38 AM.