Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive problem..ouch

• Please log in to reply

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello all,

I have a Compaq Presario SR1520NX using Windows XP, which was bought in September of 2005 and has
all service packs and updates installed (I checked for new updates and installed those recently too). This computer has a DVD writer, CD writer combo drive noted as the E drive.

For some reason, when I enter a DVD-RW disk into the drive it doesn't recoqnize that there is a disk in there and I cannot save files on the blank disk. (The details window of my E drive say Free Space: 0 bytes etc...) When I try to copy a file, say a Word file, to the drive an error window appears saying "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file..." I've tried several of my Memorex DVD-RW disks but to no avail. I can read and write to CDRs and CDRWs no problem, and the drive can read and play a DVD disk with a movie on it no problem. I surfed the net but didn't find anything that helped--but naturally, I should have come here first (I hang my head in shame as I type this). I've tried all I can think of to solve this mystery by myself but have failed. Can someone out there assist with this? Many, many thanks in advance!

I ran a PC Doctor test on it and it passed all tests (CDR, CDRW, etc...) when it asked me to enter a DVD-RW disk (couldn't test the DVD+RW because I don't have a disk in this format atm) I entered it, but it soon ejected asking me to insert a DVD-RW disk. This was annoying because I had certainaly done so! So, it could not read or detect the disk for some reason. In case you need techical info on the drive here it is:

CD-ROM Drive
Drive Letter:
E:
Manufacturer:
LITE-ON
Model:
DVDRW SOHW-1633S
Readable media:
CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Writable media:
CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Driver:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
Version:

Cheers,
Arf.

PS- When I look at the drive in My Computer window it displays a icon of a disk that says DVD-RW on it. Hrm....so why can't I write onto the dang thing? Aaaarrrggg!

Edited by Arfinwulf, 03 March 2006 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you are trying to write to it by using right click -> Send to, this is not supported under Windows XP. You will need Nero or Roxio or some other software to do it.

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Egads! Does the same go for File-->Save As--> to E drive etc....? Thought the DVD thing would work like the CD thing. Shows how much I know. I'll try out the trial versions of those software you mentioned and see if it works and report back here if not. Thanks!

Cheers,
Arf.

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
There are a few free CD/DVD Burning programs out there. One that seems to work well that people recommend is DeeBurner. You can find the link to Download it, here:

http://www.snapfiles...deepburner.html

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks Creepysound!

Cheers,
Arf.