Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User cannot view temp folder contents

• Please log in to reply

vsalzman

vsalzman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi. I have a user who cannot view the contents in the Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. There are several files as well as folders in there because I can see them, open them, etc. when I'm logged in as Administrator. I can also map a drive to her PC on the network and see the contents of the folder. When she is logged in, the folder shows up as being empty. My first thought was a permissions problem, but she is a member of the Power Users group and has Full Control of the entire C: drive. I've checked permissions on that folder specifically and it does show Full Control for her network account. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Jeremy_Scheiderer

Jeremy_Scheiderer

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
You might want to check and make sure that she has the show hidden folders options checked. I believe that it is under 1.tools 2.folder options 3.View

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I should have included that in my first post, the "show hidden files" option is checked. We've even uncheked the "Hide protected operating system files" option. She seems to be able to view everything except for that temp folder, that's why I first thought it was a permissions issue.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and the user needs to look at these files....why? (morbid curiousity)

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
There are some older Word Perfect files in there that she needs.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why on god's green earth are her wp files in the temporary internet files folder?

does not make sense.....

Let's try this--relocate the Temporary Internet Files folder

Create a new folder.

START > CONTROL PANEL > INTERNET OPTIONS

On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click Settings.

Click Move Folder.

Navigate to and select the folder that you created in step 1, and then click OK.

If you are prompted to log off, click Yes, and then log on to Windows again. If you are not prompted to log off, click OK to close all of the dialog boxes.

Get the files out of there (please, explain this to me, because it will bug me for the rest of the day)

In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, delete the old Temporary Internet Files folder, and then create a new folder in the same location with the same name. (ex: Temporary Internet Files)

On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click Settings.

Click Move Folder.

Navigate to and select the folder that you created above, and then click OK.

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm guessing because they are temp files that are created when she opens a document as an attachement in Outlook. Why they are pointed to that folder, I don't know.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then she should be saving them elsewhere....and it shouldn't be there anyway....word perfect will create temp files in c:\windows\temp or c:\documents and settings\profile\local settings\temp

Anyway, my concern here is that she has some hithero unknown rootkit that hides in temporary internet files to prevent itself from being deleted.

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yeah, I thought that too. I'm going to change the location of where they are saved.

I'm also going to run through the your malware removal list, who know when (or if) the last time anything was run on that PC. Any suggestions on locating the possible rootkit?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
rootkit revealer, if you have difficulties, post a thread in malware and lable POSSIBLE ROOTKIT INFECTION.

honestly, haven't run into a rootkit that affects a pc that way, though.

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did find out that the Temporary Internet folder is the default for Outlook to save the temp files when an attacment is opened. So, the files in there are actually where they should be. I ran everything on the malware removal list and came up with very little. The problem now is that Clean Up deleted the files that were in that she needed! Oops, will have to restore those from back up! I still can't figure out why she shows nothing in that folder. I'm wonding now if her local profile is corrupt.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
a damaged index can cause that issue, I've read, but never seen it.

Even if she is opening attachments, the reliability of recoverying them from there is dumb, dumb, dumb

SAVE the attachments, then open them. Temp Inter Files is routinely cleaned out as more files are added. As for recovery, assuming she has not deleted the emails, just re-save the attachments properly.

You need to get her to do things the right way for her own good. Shoot, I didn't think that WP even saved temporary files in any kind of usable form

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have preached SAVE, don't rely on temp, for that very reason, but no one listens!! I'll remind her again. We actually have several people here that rely on that method, someone at some point had taught them to do things that way....why, I do not know!!

I think the reason that she was trying to pull them up from temp is that she has deleted the email. I can always check the recovery option in Outlook to see if they're still there.

Thank you so much for all of your help and suggestions! I'll let you know if the new profile works.