Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any ideas?

• Please log in to reply

JennaD

JennaD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
P. S. I know when I reset the bios I unplug the machine. I didn't ask neobox if they left it plugged in or unplugged it. I figured they knew how to reset a bios.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge..there's no way to make the bios impossible to reset..i could be wrong...but due to the architecture of the system...it shouldn't be possible...

also...if you correctly format a hard drive (such as using dban or fdisk or another lowlevel formatting utililty) then it's impossible that software would "respawn" after reinstalling the OS...

what method did you use in the 50 plus times that you've formatted and reinstalled..

(also..i noticed your tone in your response and i want to clarrify something...i'm not accusing you of lying or not knowing what you're doing or anything like that...i'm pretty sure you already know..but all of the problems you're trying to explain...don't make sense...so alot of this is confusing)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Jenna,
Please be patient with us. You have been dealing with these problems for a long time, and we are just coming into it. Let's make one squeaky clean system so we can rule out problems on the other computers. Make it a stand alone (no network or router- just plug it directly into the modem) and go to the hard drive manufacturer's site and look for a "wipe out" utility, one that will rewrite the drive with ones and zeroes. Print out the instructions and follow them carefully. Do it again for good measure. Go OFFLINE. In the BIOS, set the computer to boot from cd. Insert your valid XP cd that you have a product key for and boot. Follow the prompts, and choose "full format", not quick. Choose NTFS.
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp
While XP is installing, go through all your cds and throw away any you didn't buy from a reputable source with shrink wrap on them. Get rid of anything a (former?) friend made for you. Install a reputable firewall and enable it before you go online. You will need to reinstall your programs, and do all your updates- internet security and Microsoft are the most important, but check your other software (like Java for example) for any available updates as well. Do not put any cds, dvds or floppies (media of any sort) that you aren't 100% sure of into any of the computer bays.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
This program will put a tab in your control panel and allow you to identify and control the software that runs when you boot the computer.

Also, look at the places your keyboard and mouse plug into the tower. Is there anything there resembling an adapter? If both ends are the same anyway, take it off and toss it. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I have never spent $15K cumulatively on computers and/or repairs, and you sound like you have reasons to believe something nefarious is going on. I am surprised the shops haven't been able to figure out how to correct your issues, and that they haven't been more specific. I know I grill my auto mechanic!

An MBR is a master boot record, and the computer won't boot without it. You can click Start>Run> msconfig> boot ini tab and look at the boot.ini file. Mine looks like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
Does yours look like that now? Post back if you have any questions.

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
We need to tackle on thing at a time, ok?

I want you to follow these instructions EXACTLY

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to MESSENGER

double click it

Hit the STOP buttun

There is a dropdown box, click the arrow and change it to DISABLED.

Click APPLY

Click OK

reboot your machine

Now, when windows is back up

start > run, type
cmd
<enter>

type
sc qc messenger

you will get several lines of report

what does it say on the second line START_TYPE

after the colon

That's all I want you to do. Nothing else. Report back. Do not attempt to fix any problems. Do not attempt to tell us any more issues. One issue at a time.

We are all getting lost in the deluge of information

calm down, relax. You are clearly worked up and your making things harder on yourself.

You are not being hacked. Windows xp is designed as a network machine. A lot of stuff loads that you do not use even when not connected, but that is OK.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

We need to tackle on thing at a time, ok?

Whoops, that was not directed at you Johanna....I was reading Dsennette and didn't realize you had a post there :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
/me steps back and watches as to not muddle things....