Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Dell Broadband wireless router

• Please log in to reply

tennistm

tennistm

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Whenever I connect to the internet, I get a message I am not connected and to "try again or work offline"
When I click "try again....I'm on. The message comes on agaijn after about 15 minutes or so of being on- line and no acitivity. I again have to click the "try again" message, and I'm back on again.

I disconnected my router and went diret to my computer and the problem stopped. That's why I'm thinking it's the router. I've had it about 2 years and no problems.

Someone told me my router was too close to my modem...so I moved the router and it is now about 4' away from the modem.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tennistm

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Someone told me my router was too close to my modem...so I moved the router and it is now about 4' away from the modem.

sillyness...just sillyness....

could you describe the physical setup of this system?
what kind of internet service do you have?
what kind of modem?
how is the modem connected to the router?
what if you connect from the pc to the router via ethernet? instead of wirelessly

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
could you describe the physical setup of this system?
what kind of internet service do you have? Comcast
what kind of modem? C modem supplied by Comcast
how is the modem connected to the router? Im not sure what you mean?
what if you connect from the pc to the router via ethernet? instead of wirelessly Again, I'm not sure what you mean. I unplugged my router and put the cable connection directly into the computer...the system then worked.

I have had this system for seveal years and no problems. They just started few months ago and I can't think of anything I am doing differnetly.

I am not very computere literate and maybe it's best if I just live with this little inconvenience.

Thanks,
Tennistm