Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer just beeps

• Please log in to reply

jlynnking

jlynnking

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I own a Gateway M350MVN laptop. Recently I tried to add RAM however the new RAM was not the correct RAM for my computer. I promptly put the old RAM back in however when I went to boot the computer the screen stays black and I get one long beep followed by two short beeps. Someone else in the house has the same laptop I put my RAM in it and it boots fine. I also tried swapping hard drives the other computer boots fine with my hard drive but mine will not boot with theirs. I have read on a few posts that it could be that ths series of beeps could indicate that my video card needs to be reseated however its integrated. Can anyone help please.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm....depending on your bios...not sure what bios gateway uses....1 long 2 short is usually a video deal....but....if you've got integrated..then taht doesn't make sense....sure it's not 1 long and 3 short? cus that would be a serious ram issue...

let's try to reset your bios to defaults and see if that helps....basically use all normal saftey precautions to turn off and open the computer...unplug it from the wall and remove the CMOS battery...(looks like a watch battery..and is honestly the only battery on the board) leave that out for a few minutes..and h old the power button in (still unplugged mind you)...replace the battery...put the machien back together plug it in...and turn it on...any better?

jlynnking

jlynnking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no still beeping one long 2 short

jlynnking

jlynnking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I removed the Monitor, the keyboard, the mouse, the hard drive and one RAM module still it only beeps at me. If I remove the last RAM module and try to start it no beeps.