Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Excellent.
I assume then that in disk management, you have something similar to the example below (but with different sizes reported)

DiskManagement02.jpg

You should have the block on the left (C drive) reported as 127GB (approx). You probably won't have as many blocks as the example has, but you should have the last block being reported as 'Unallocated', with a size of somewhere in the region of 115GB. Is this what you can see?

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
heres a pic of what it shows,

Attached Thumbnails

• hd_pic.JPG

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good, that's what I thought.

In that case you have two choices...

1) Create a second partition in the unallocated space. To do this, right click on the second block (the one marked unallocated), select 'Create partition' & follow the instructions. You'll need to create a 'logical' partition & format it using NTFS. Afterwards, when you open My Computer, you will see 2 hard drives instead of one. You can use the new drive for anything you like, eg downloading files to, backing up data to or just as a general storage area.

2) Use a third party utility to extend the size of your C drive so that it becomes 232GB in size.

Personally, I recommend you go with option (1). This doesn't require any third party utilities & is safer because it doesn't affect the C drive. It's also really useful to have at least one other partition (drive) apart from the C drive because it allows you organise your file storage better.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea im going to do the first choice thanks for your help a lot, but theres one problem, i cant select logical only primary and extended.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Nevermind i got it, thanks a lot samm i really appreciate it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome

CapellaU

CapellaU

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The hard drive problem is fairly simple. I just had the same issue. You need to install Service Pack 2 it will solve your problem, but if you have already installed XP your partition is still set at 127GB, you will have to go and fix that manually, or just make a partion of the left over space.

If you are like me and have problems with SP 2 try to "slipstream" the update. It is pretty easy and you get a bootable XP SP2 disk out of it:
http://www.helpwithw...sp2-bootcd.html