Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is going...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MrBananaMan

MrBananaMan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i dont know if my video card, ram or something else is dying.

i crashed during a game and got a VPU error stating my graphics card (radeon 9700 pro) had to be reset because it was not responding to driver requests. i have never gotten a vpu error in my life. so something messed up my video card, or my video card itself is messing up. the game was auto assault beta which i played last weekend fine.

i update drivers. first reboot with new drivers and the screen after login stays black. i soft reset, after logon everything is fine, except when the screen is supposed to flash to black a few times (ati control panel does it for some reason) it isnt black, its and ugly yellow green color with vertical lines taking up 80% of my screen. screen goes back to normal after the split second it normally takes, and everything seems fine.

i go online to check ati's website. i notice everytime i use the scroll bar its like the page is loaded with insane amounts of html, basically its laggy. another example is like the page is refreshing at 2 fps.

i then try to load a game. any steam mod i try gives me an error like this: The instruction at "0x32424d3" referenced memory at "0x000006c". The memory could not be "read".

guild wars gives me : Unable to initialize 3d output. Please verify that you have installed directx 8 and an updated video driver.

-video driver installed? check
-directx 8 installed? i HAD 9.0c installed. i cant download directx again because of my non legit windows cd. did microsoft maybe just pull the plug on the directx module for any non legit windows users? dxdiag works, directx 9.0c is installed according to it.

sooo.... everything points to a video card problem, except the memory issue for steam (could it still be a video problem?) and the directx thing. i need advice on more troubleshooting and ideas you guys may have. also is there any software i can use to test things?

thank you.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

i cant download directx again because of my non legit windows cd.

Geeks To Go are unable to help anyone who does not have legitimate software installed