Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cable Select?

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys after recently pulling apart my computer i noticed that my two segate (120gb) hard drives are both set up as cable select. will this slow down the transfer rates because i have never seen this conigeration before and i dont no much about it
the reson i ask is because if this is slowing down transfer rates then i want to set it as normal master and slave config
aparently cable select uses different cables is this correct?
can these cables be used if i did want to change it to master and slave?

thankyou
troppo

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Cable select is a setting on IDE devices such as hard drives and CDROM that allows the position of the drive on the cable to select whether the drive will act as master or slave. This setting is usually performed by placing a jumper on the cable select setting, usually marked CS. Pin 28 on an IDE cable is used to decide the fate of the device. If the signal of the device is grounded, then it becomes a master, if ungrounded, it becomes a slave.

By using cable select instead of master and slave, it does not affect the transfer speed of the drives. It only lets the computer set the end connector on the cable as master , while the center connector will be set as slave. A few computers i've messed with don't want to work if the drives are set to CS.

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the reply,
i dont no why the shop set my comp up like this i think they have used cable select ribbon cables as well they are yellow in color?
thats good news about it not slowing down the transfer rate,
i have a sony dvd handy cam and when i try to transfer the .VOB files to my hard drive it takes ages im thinking about getting a sata hard drive but i dont no if my motherboard supports SATA II or just SATA i ma not sure if SATAII is backwards compatable do you no if it will work?
cause it does take a while and its really frustrating so if i can get a SATA II drive then i definatly will i hear they are alot faster than regular parrallel ATA drives

do you know much about this?
thanks for your help!

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
is it worth changing theese drives to master and slave? can this be done? or do i have to buy normal cables?

anybody please help :tazz:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is no reason to change drives around. The drives are the same so their speed is the same. There is also the problem of that you installed XP on the "C" drive and if you change it around the computer won't boot because where it looks for the operating system it will no longer be there.

Even if you buy a sata2 adapter and a sata2 drive you will not run any faster because of other limitations in the motherboard.

I think the real problem here is the transfer speed from the camera. Are you using the USB ports on the puter? One thing tht might speed it up is to get a firewire adapter and try using firewire to transfer files.

http://www.dvcentral.org/firewire.html

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i dont copy straight from the camers i place the 8cm DVd into my drive and copy from that

and the camera doesnt have a firewire port only usb

oh and by the way i have usb 2.0

so my mobo cant handle it its a gigabyte GA-8ipe775-g
thanks for the reply