Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Programs malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks, I just tried "PC Power Sweep 2" this afternoon from MalwareSweeper.com (cos it had a five-star rating on download.com). Tonight when I went to use Photoshop I got this message saying something like my username, password and org are all missing therefore I can't use the program.

I started cursing then but when I went to uninstall my Photoshop thinking I'd just give it a reinstall I started screaming - I don't even have the option to uninstall Photoshop now. Image captured attached. There're also other programs that I can't uninstall if I wanted to.

I've done the sfc/ scannow command and rebooted the computer. Got two blue screens until I chose "start using the last working good configuration".

What should I do now? :tazz: Thanx

add_remove.jpg

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Hi folks, I just tried "PC Power Sweep 2" this afternoon from MalwareSweeper.com (cos it had a five-star rating on download.com). Tonight when I went to use Photoshop I got this message saying something like my username, password and org are all missing therefore I can't use the program.

I started cursing then but when I went to uninstall my Photoshop thinking I'd just give it a reinstall I started screaming - I don't even have the option to uninstall Photoshop now. Image captured attached. There're also other programs that I can't uninstall if I wanted to.

I've done the sfc/ scannow command and rebooted the computer. Got two blue screens until I chose "start using the last working good configuration".

What should I do now? :tazz: Thanx

add_remove.jpg

Just a suggestion. Uninstall PC Power Sweep. I just looked at download.com and what it says it does, CCleaner does for free. You can find it here "http://www.majorgeek...d.php?det=4191"

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You may need to boot into safe mode. If the add/remove is still not available, try a System Restore. Do you have your XP cd in case that doesn't work either?

Johanna

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanks CoffeeDrinker and Johanna for the replies. Yes I have heard of CCleaner before and know it's real good. [bleep]! I hate myself for trying new things and messing up the computer sometimes. I just didn't expect a five-star rated program would do such things like this.

And Johanna I haven't tried booting into Safe Mode and see if the Remove buttons are visible in Add/Remove. BUT the thing is, about 80% of the applications on my computer are missing that "Remove" button in the list, I'm not sure/ready to uninstall them with some third party uninstaller and reinstall them. Is there any way I can just fix this by retrieveing those buttons back, somehow? As I said I've tried sfc/ scannow command, are there any others?

Thank you very much.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This website has the solution to your Add/Remove button problem:

http://www.winxptuto.../arpbuttons.htm

Always create a restore point before modifying your registry!

To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 March 2006 - 04:29 PM.