Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I keep getting disconnected...

• Please log in to reply

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
keep getting disconnected...

I get disconnected from the internet when ever I listen to an internet raido after about 10 minutes. I used to listen to them all the time and never had any problems. I have a cable modem, and I use AOL. Also it's not just the same radio, It happens for all the ones I've tried.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
are you just disconnected or does your computer crash?

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Just disconnected, but AOL doesn't work until it automaticaly reconnects, with takes about 15 mins. And I can't close it with the task manager because then it wont reopen until I restart my computer.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
i think your RAM may become full and that is what is causing it. try clearing your temp files, if you dont know how post back and i will give you instructions.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I don't knwo haw to clear them,.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Temp Dump:
tools>internet options>general>under tempory internet files>settings>settings>view files> delete anything in there dont you recongnize, remember that not all temp files are bad, these include favorites, and saved passwords.

if you dont have any saved passwords or favorits then you can do a complete temp dump, but i do not recoment it unless you truly do not care about any of the temp files :tazz: :
Click start then control panel, click network and internet then internet options

On the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files, include offline content, click clear history.

Click apply after each change.

Click the security tab and click default, click privacy and click default, click programmes and click reset web settings, click advanced to tick, do not save encrypted pages to disc and empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete.

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools, to run disc clean up, reboot

==============
hope this is helpful, post back if you have any pproblems, or if it works. :)

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well it seems to be working now. Thanks

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
ok...cool...if you have any other problems related to this just post in this tread, if you have any other issues of a different nature, start a new topic. i am glad i could help :tazz:

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It started happening again. I cleared the temp files again, and that fixed it for awhile but it happened again. Is there a more permenent solution?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
try rasing your security settings, this will stop non essential cookies for being set. besides that, dont leave your compter on for long periods of time with out resarting. but does are just minor things. the best and most permnant fix is to increase your computers RAM.

Advertisements

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I changed the security settings, but do they only affect internet explorer? I use Firefox. I never leave my computer on for to long. And right now I have 1 GB of RAM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I think this is a bit deeper than just Temp dumps and not enough RAM, especially when you have 1 GB. I'd suspect either IE is has gotten corrupted somehow or you have malware. But before we say either of those, let's try giving your computer a good cleaning with TuneUp.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 March 2006 - 04:01 PM.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well I did all that, and it did alot of stuff, but I played the radio for a bit and got disconnected...

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
ok lets do and ie repair: Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
====
also make sure you have post Service packs intalled
====
if neither of those does it for ya': Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I dont have an Windows XP disc so I can't do the IE repair.

I'll look at the malware fourm now, but I had posted a hijackthis log there about a week ago for a different problem, and this had been happening since before then.