Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I keep getting disconnected...

• Please log in to reply

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I'll look at the malware fourm now, but I had posted a hijackthis log there about a week ago for a different problem, and this had been happening since before then.

ok lets wait up on the HJT log, once you get a clean bill of health,and i will give you instuctions on other IE repairs, doing it now, is going to do no good, because it will probably become more corpoppted.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Actually, you can repair/reinstall IE without an XP CD.

Go here to download and reinstall Internet Explorer 6 for your computer.

PS, I just looked at the thread where you were being helped for Malware. Trevuren gave you the "all clear", so we're going to focus on corrupt files. Try the IE repair/reinstall I just mentioned.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 March 2006 - 07:50 PM.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I tried installing that, and it said that theres a newer verison of internet explorer already installed. I went to Add remove Progams, but I couldn't find Internet explorer in there.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
What version of IE are you using? I need the exact version.

To find that out, open Internet Explorer, click on Help > About Internet Explorer.

Copy down the exact Internet Explorer version you have.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Verison: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
The following website provides instructions for removing IE6, including instructions for if you can't find it in Add/Remove:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=293907

After removing it, you can use the following website to reinstall IE6:

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If you are unsuccessful, I'd recommend borrowing an XP CD from a friend so we can properly repair/reinstall IE on your computer.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, that told me to uninstall Windows 2000 Service pack, and then Internet explorer. but I don't see that in the Add/Remove Program list either. Also once I do uninstall that how do I reinstall it?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Without an XP CD, this is going to turn out to be a tough problem to solve. :tazz:

For now, while I do a bit of research, download Mozilla Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/. Firefox is a browser, similar to internet explorer or the AOL explorer. See if your radio sites still disconnect when using Mozilla.

If they don't disconnect, then simply use Firefox instead of IE or AOL, since it is more secure anyway. :)

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I've been useing Firefox this whole time, and long before the problem aswell.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I need more information about your computer:

Please download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. Attach it to your next post.

Advertisements

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Here you go.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
RamzaRuglia,

You have 2 firewalls. :tazz: It is only highly recommended NOT to have more than 1. I now suspect it is a conflict going on between these two firewalls that is throwing you off the internet.

Since Norton is also an anti-virus, I recommend getting rid of Zone Alarm rather than Norton. If you still get disconnected from the internet, try opening Norton and disabling the firewall option.

Restart your computer after uninstalling Zone Alarm or disabling the Norton Firewall.

Let me know how it goes. If it still doesn't work, there were a few more things that caught my eye in the WinAudit log.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 10 March 2006 - 08:13 PM.

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok I uninstalled Zone and its been working ever since. I waited a few days to make sure there weren't any problems. So thanks alot for the help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Excellent! I'm starting to dislike Zone Alarm. It's been causing more and more problems lately...

Glad I could help you out :tazz: