Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Player problem?

• Please log in to reply

Briansstocks

Briansstocks

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I had past computer problems,after having a tech fix my computer and upgrading my laptop to XP the movies I have burt wont play on my laptop any more,but store bought movies will.

Any sugestions you have would be appreciated.

Brian

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you probably need the right video codes installed. go to http://free-codecs.com/ and download either the all-in-one codec pack or the klite codec pack. this should resolve your issue. If it doesn't then please provide a more information as to the nature of the problem.

Briansstocks

Briansstocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
After I D/L The all in 1 pack the burnt movie played but skiped so bad it wasnt watchable,Audio and Vid skiped,so i tried the Light full version,It made me delete a bunch of codec to install,
After the install,The movie wouldnt play again,So I re installed the All in one but still nothing,
Ive tried several movies,restarting,but no go.
The original movies played perfect everytime so far

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
uninstall the codec, reboot, reinstall the codec. then update your video and sound drivers. if your running a newer video card, especially nvidia make sure your gart driver is updated.

Briansstocks

Briansstocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I uninstalled the Lite codec pack,and rebooted,I have no Idea how to update the video and Audio cards,And have know Idea what a gart is.

My windows updates are current,The computer is kinda old and origanaly came with WIN98

I wasnt sure if you wanted me to uninstall the All in 1 codec pac so I still have it,burnt movies wont play at all but new movies still play fine

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well lets figure out what codecs are required to play those movies.

http://www.videohelp.com/play#identify

just follow the instructions and it will tell you what codecs you need.

Briansstocks

Briansstocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I couldnt use the program that tells what codec i needed on my computer I was having problems with,It just locks up,but i did use it on my main computer.

It only gave me a video codec,MPEG2 (svcd/dvd) so i installed Descaler with no luck

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
these burned movies, what are they? dvd's? movies converted to play on your dvd player?

Briansstocks

Briansstocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
The movies are back ups to my originals,I burned them with DVD decripter,DVD shrink and Nero,They always worked with my laptop,and almost every DVD player.

Like I said,I had computer problems,I consulted this site for them,but ran out of time and called a guy to come over,He reformated my main computer and upgraded my laptop to XP from 98,Unfortunately I work on a boat,Im gone at sea for months at a time,so when i came back everything was done except,my P2P wont work on my laptop,which I understand you dont help with,My printer wouldnt work with my laptop on my network,and I couldnt watch my burnt DVDs on my laptop,sorry im computer stupid,I know its a software problem but dont know how to fix it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, that answers a lot of questions and gives us a direction to go. Do you have nero installed and what version is it?

Briansstocks

Briansstocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have Nero on my main computer but not my laptop that im having problems with,It doesnt have a burner.

I beleive I used Nero express to burn them,but when the tech reformated my main computer a different version was installed,but I havent made any copies since then