Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Homeworld 2 resolution problems

• Please log in to reply

Will101

Will101

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
For some reason that I am unsure of, when i increase the resolution to the highest setting or 1 below it, the game image is shifted bottom right so that i cant use the bottom buttons for the game menu. I cant fix it either once i have changed the resolution setting to the original value due to the accept button being out of reach of my mouse.

I actually have to reinstall the game to get the default setting back so that i can play the game.

Attached are my system specs below

If anyone could please help me understand and fix this problem, that would be very much appreciated

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
When changing resolution/refresh rate on a CRT, you may have to adjust your monitor's size/position. If you can, get into the monitor's menu before you set your desktop res/ref to what you run in the game, then get into the monitor's menu, and have a look.

For best results, desktop r/r and game r/r need to be identical.

With some PC games it is possible to edit the shortcut or an .ini file to set the resolution back. I will check on Homeworld 2.

:tazz:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 05 March 2006 - 10:20 AM.

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for your help.

I will try settting both my desktop and HW2 resolutions to the same value.

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried every setting for resoultion on my desktop, but i dont seem to have the exact match that the current game resolution is at.

Are my resolution options for my desktop limited to my video card?

I really wish i could get this fixed so that i can play at the highest game resolution; that would be sweet.

Thanks in advance.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Your graphics card and the monitor limit the resolution/refresh rate. It is the lowest common denominator. In your case I suspect the monitor.

Can you post your graphics hardware specs? What does the system offer you, and what are you trying to run? Resolution/Refresh Rate

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family
Adapter String Intel® Calistoga Graphics Controller
BIOS String Intel Video BIOS
Chip Type Intel® Calistoga Graphics Controller
DAC Type Internal
Installed Drivers ialmrnt5 (6.14.10.4436)
Memory Size 224 MB

Video Adapter Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com...se/chipsets.htm
Driver Download http://support.intel...upport/graphics

Here is it.

My current resolution for my monitor is 1280 x 800, and i cant go past that. I hate limitations.

I am trying to run 1600 X 1200 resolution on the game, but as i said before, the game screen shifts to the bottom/bottom right, and i am unable to access the main buttons(accept) etc.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The Intel integrated graphics are horrible.

You should upgrade to an AGP or PCIe graphics card to make use of the higher resolutions.

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Have you figured out how to position my game screen to fit my monitor?

I have a laptop, so i dont think it's possible to change my graphics card due to it being fused with my motherboard.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Ahh, the laptop's LCD is locked into it's native resolution. It is best not to change it.

Sorry,

Does your laptop have an external VGA connector?

obin_gam

obin_gam

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hehe, good thing I searched for this topic before I started a new one!

anyhoos, I have the exact same problem as the first post explained.
and I also have tried an change my screen's resolution to fit the game, but it doesnt change anything... I can only see the upper left corner of the gamescreen, so I cant reach the "confirme-buttons" in the menys.

has anyone got a sulotion to this, or should I just re-install the game?

--

my screen cant go as high as the games resolution, its limit about one "size" too small.

Edited by obin_gam, 10 June 2007 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

elayman

elayman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
has anyone found a cure for this? I've tried using 2 different monitors w/ different resolutions and reinstalling homeworld 2 twice.. Nothing works! I can't change the fricken resolution in game.. I accidentally set it too high and the confirm button is hidden and my mouse won't go that low. I really just want to reinstall and not save my previous in game resolution, but it doesn't seem to let me.. I'm running vista 32-bit so can anyone help me out?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The games resolution needs to always be set lower than the the native of the monitor. You can set the resolution via the shortcut by adding the desired res to the startup options for the game shortcut. The best place to get support for HW2 these days is Relic forums or on one of the mods forums like BSG or the more popular PDS mod for HW2.

Usually if I do that by accident I just set the res manually or click accept blind as you know where it roughly is.

Tms09

Tms09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Non-standard Resolutions

Homeworld2 has been designed for the standard 4:3 aspect ratio display. However, you can use other any unsupported resolutions of your choosing, such as those listed below. Furthermore, We have included a solution for some non-standard resolutions as listed below. If you're running Homeworld2 on a laptop or other LCD display, you may experience some distortion or stretching of the game screens if you're not running in the recommended resolutions for your specific monitor.

To address this, we've included the following work-around using a command line option switch. In order to specify the resolution that you want to play Homeworld2 in, use the following parameters to set your resolution. Simply cut and paste from the text below into the Homeworld2 shortcut Properties

For Example, the Target of your windows shortcut should read:

C:\Programs\Sierra\Homeworld2\Homeworld2.exe.

And if you want to run Homeworld2 in 1024 x 768 resolution, using the following command line switch (typed exactly as):

-w 1024 -h 768

(**note the case sensitive and space sensitive nature of this command line switch where
-w sets the width value and the -h sets the height value.)

Therefore, if you want to run Homeworld2 in 1024 x 768 resolution, the 'Target' field of the Windows shortcut for Homeworld2 should read:

"C:\Programs\Sierra\Homeworld2\Homeworld2.exe" -w 1024 -h 768

You can try using this method to run in any one of the resolutions listed below or others that may not be listed. However, none of them are guaranteed to work in all cases. Here are several examples. Simply cut and paste from the text below into target line after the .exe portion of the existing text.

1152x864 -w 1152 -h 864
1920x1440 -w 1920 -h 1440
2048x1536 -w 2048 -h 1536

Daniel Gadd

Daniel Gadd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
God help me ..Same problem . I cant reach the confirm button to change it back . iv a laptop . and ya cant imagine where it might be and just click like crazy tll ya stuble onto it ,, it wont go any futher down .. i connected my laptop to my 180" projector n same screen ,, i might try my friends hd tv ,, this is unreal ,, i wana play ,, but i cant ,, [bleep]ing only 1/4 the screen ,, i changed all the setting in my laptop options ,, help help herlp nn please

foxtrinee

foxtrinee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this problem too. And i have just fixed it by doing so:
Right mouse button click on shortcut to your game
And where is the Target: add in the end -windowed -w 640 -h 480
Then just launch the game and it should be small, then go to options and change the resolution there.
After that just delete what you have wrote in target and you're good to go :D