Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD-RW Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

*Vicki*

*Vicki*

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is not my computer (my Mum's) so I don't really know what's been done to it.

My Mum and everyone else who use this computer never bother to scan for spyware or viruses or anything else.

Yesterday I was asked to 'sort it out' because the CD drive wasn't showing up in 'My Computer' and they couldn't get to anything on CD.
I had a look in Device Manager, and similarly, only the hard drive is showing up. The CD drive seems to have disappeared. The drive will open and the light comes on and the disk spins for a second or two, and then nothing.
I've tried running from command prompt but nothing there either.

I've scanned for viruses (there was one infecting two Java-related files) and removed any infected files. I've also scanned for registry errors using Regiguard and fixed all of those, as well as removing any Spyware using Spybot S&D.
I was going to install Norton SystemWorks and see what WinDoctor does but obviously, I can't use the drive.

The computer hasn't been moved recently or opened or anything, so I doubt it's a loose connection (although I guess I ought to check) and plus, the drive still has power (although it's a different cable, I know).

I don't know what the drive is to download drivers. If I opened the computer would it say the model on the drive?

Past reinstalling drivers ... what else could it be?
This computer is only a max of 3 or 4 years old, and hasn't had heavy usage by any stretch of the imagination.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would give the cdgone patch a try first:

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=15

I've given up on Norton products. They have turned into bloatware that causes a lot of problems. Avast is probably the best free anti-virus program out there......

edit....you might want to re-seat the data cable......

Edited by macten, 05 March 2006 - 09:05 AM.