Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directed Here By Armodeluxe

• Please log in to reply

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have been working with Armodeluxe in the Malware Forum. I can give you a link to that thread:

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=497026

Hope that is right.

Armodeluxe advised me to tell you that I am "clean malwarewise"

The initial topic for my posting was:

Blue Screen / Selective Startup, Directed Here By Null Wolf

Please let me know if you need more information from me.

Thank You so much for your help.

Sincerely,
Rebecca

p.s. As of my last post to Armodeluxe, I had to rename the wininit.exe file to wininit.old, otherwise my computer hung up at Window ME screen and when I hit Esc. the same message appeared over and over:

Windows Could Not Upgrade the File 1% from 2%

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Rebecca C...

Insert the Windows Millennium Edition startup floppy disk, and then restart the computer. (If you do not have a Windows Millennium Edition startup disk, visit the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to create a startup disk in Windows Me).

At a command prompt, type c:, and press "Enter".
Type attrib -r -s -h _RESTORE, and press "Enter".
Type ren _RESTORE oldrest, and press "Enter".
Type exit, and press "Enter".

Remove the startup disk, and then restart the computer.

Click Start, click Run, type explorer in the Open box, and then click "Ok".
Locate and then right-click the C:\Oldrest folder.
Click "Delete", and then click "Yes".
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click "Ok".
In the "System Properties" dialog box, click the "Performance" tab, and then click "File System".
Click the "Troubleshooting" tab, and then click to select the "Disable System Restore" check box.
Click "Apply", click "Close" two times, and then click "Yes" to restart the computer.

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click "Ok".
In the "System Properties" dialog box, click the "Performance" tab, and then click "File System".
Click the "Troubleshooting" tab, and then click to clear the "Disable System Restore" check box.
Click "Apply", click "Close", and then click "File System".
In the "Settings" area, drag the System Restore disk space use slider to the minimum setting of 200 MB.
Click "Apply", click "Ok", click "Close", and then click "Yes" to restart the computer.

See if this resolves the 1% - 2% error.

wannabe1

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Wannabe 1,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I will try the steps you outlined and let you know what happened.

After I follow your instructions should I extract the wininit.exe to see if the 1% 2% error is gone.

Rebecca

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...please do. It should extract "as advertised". :tazz:

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Wannabe 1

Ok, followed all instructions, extracted the wininit.exe successfully and... NO 1% 2% STUFF. THANKS!!!

Now, I updated DirectX at Windows Update to version 9.0 (I think) a few days ago, wondering if I still have it. I wasn't able to find it, only an older version. The problem of the 1% 2% happens when I update the DirectX.

Thanks,
Rebecca

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and try updating the DirectX again. Let me know if the error recurs.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Wannabe 1

Have a question before I update. I looked at my Installation History on Windows Update and I saw this:

Successful Saturday, March 04, 2006 DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime

I guess I have it somewhere but can't seem to find it.

Now, should I install the following update:

Security Update for DirectX 9 (KB904706)
Download size: 567 KB, 2 minutes
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition system using DirectShow and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer

Do you know where I might find the DirectX 9.0c. It isn't in Add Remove Programs and in Windows Explorer I only see an old version.

Thank You so much for your help

Rebecca

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Rebecca C...You are certainly welcome.

Sounds like the DirectX is already updated... :tazz:

Click Start, then Run, type dxdiag, and click "Ok".

Under the "System" tab, note the version of DirectX displayed on the DirectX Version line (towards the bottom). if it displays DirectX 9.0c, then it is installed and working properly (supposedly). Does your machine seem to be running like it should?

Yes...go ahead and install the security update...we need to keep your machine all clean or Armodeluxe will shoot the both of us. :)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 March 2006 - 01:08 PM.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Wannabe 1

I do have the 9.0c version. I got a DirectX Diagnostic Tool Box asking if I wanted DX Diag to check if your drivers are digitally signed as loge'd by MHQL, it may require downloading of WHQL certificates. I selected NO, should I go back and select YES.

You are right I wouldn't want Armodeluxe to go through all of that again for me. I will try to keep it clean for both of our sakes.

My machine seems to be running well. One thing is when I play this Poker Game (which initially ask me to install a DirectX, which I did and then got the old 1% 2% again), it doesn't have the video display of the players and the amount they are betting. Not that that is something terrible or something I should bother you guys with. So I thought once I successfully updated the Direct X, the game would run properly.

Thank You Wannabe 1!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help, Rebecca C... :tazz:

You might check the Poker website's support page and see if there are other settings you need to change that might be specific to their gameplay. I'm not much into online gaming, so I don't know what is required for them.

If you have no other complaints with the machine, I'd say that we're finished here. If you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to post back!

wannabe1

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Wannabe 1

You are right everything seems to be running well, thanks to you & Armodeluxe.

One quick thing, should I let the DirectX check if drivers are digitally signed as log'd by MHQL and let it download WHQL certificates.

Also, the game isn't online, it is just a CD, when it asks me to install DirectX, I will go ahead and say Yes, hopefully it won't cause the same problems.

I truly appreciate all of your time and effort.

All The Best
Rebecca

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I meant to answer the certificate question in my last post. Yes, get the new certificates when asked to do so.

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Once installed, run a couple spyware scans...you never know... :tazz:

Take Care...

wannabe1

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Will Do

Many Thanks and Best Wishes

Rebecca