Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System is running very slow

• Please log in to reply

sxs1004

sxs1004

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have been referred to this section from one of your engineers in Malware cleanup forum.

My system is running very slow for past 1 week. I am facing problems is video streaming - Online , DVD, even movies on my hard drive.

The voice is OK, but picture lags the voice. Picture screens aren't changing quick enough..

Overall system performance is quite slow and CPU usage is high all the time..

The system ogs are clean and there isn't any malware or spywares(as advised by one of your engineers)

PLZ advise...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi sxs1004!

Lets make sure that your computer isn't running too hot.

Download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture found LINK REMOVED.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 March 2006 - 12:43 PM.

sxs1004

sxs1004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Plz find the results attached.
speed_fan.JPG

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Your hard drive is running quite hot. What type of computer do you have? Is it a pre-built computer, like a Dell or Gateway for example, or did you build it yourself. If it is a pre-built, please give the make and model.

Fenor

sxs1004

sxs1004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron.
I am running Windows XP.

I can let it cool down and then check again if that is what you would recommend. However, my system is acting slow for past few days, and I had it shut off periodically.

sxs1004

sxs1004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Sorry - Forgot to mention.
Its Dell Inspiron 8200 and I am running Win XP Pro.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Ahh, it's a laptop. That explains alot. What I would like you to do is turn it off for a good 15 minutes. During this time, find two items that can be used to raise the laptop off the surface of the table/desk it is resting on. You can use two books of equal height and elevate the laptop by putting one book on the left side and one on the right side, but only having the laptop on just enough of the books to keep it stable so it doesn't fall off of them. What I am getting here is most likely your laptop is running too hot, which happens alot. There are laptop coolers that you can get to help this, but right now lets see how things go when air-flow for the laptop is increased, which doing what I asked would accomplish.

Post back how the computer is running after doing this and using the computer for awhile.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 March 2006 - 12:54 PM.

sxs1004

sxs1004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yes it works fine now..
Can't believe the reason !!

Thanks very much....

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to see that was the problem. At least that problem is fixable. What you might want to invest in is a laptop cooler. They are not that expensive, around $30USD or so.

I found some on TigerDirect, which you can view HERE.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 March 2006 - 06:05 PM.