Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Travelmate 2200

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi.

I have an Acer Travelmate 2200 (from october-ish 2005) which, I have to admit was/is a pretty good laptop, however, this laptop has come across a problem. When I turned it on after being off through the night I noticed a "critical battery" pop up balloon in the bottom right of the screen, though I found this strange, as the laptop was plugged into the mains. I tried another power adapter I have for this particular laptop, as me and my brother bought the same laptop at the same time... I found the same problem "critical battery". I also had the "critical battery" problem when I used my brothers battery, whilst plugged into the mains with either adapter.

What I tried next was taking OUT the battery and leaving the laptop plugged into the mains, then running it. After cutting out a few times (on both power adapters) it booted into windows, it was fine for a few minutes, I thought I had overcome the problem, and that I needed a new battery. This was when I had the "critical battery" balloon again, WITH NO BATTERY IN, only plugged in the mains, by this point I was extremely puzzled. The laptop is repeatedly cutting out, I would send it back, but I have no warranty remaining, if there is nothing simple I can do I will send it back to Acer to get it fixed.

Thankyou in advance for any help. Please redirect me if I put this question in the wrong forum, it was a guess between Windows and Hardware (I will not double post).

Thanks again,

~SuperSam (not so super now)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my guess is that your issue is the charging subsystem of the laptop, likely the dc-to-dc board.

Not easily replaceable..indeed, I cannot find it on any parts sites I frequent....

you said this was a 2005-ish laptop...that would still be under warranty--it's only been 4 months (I think you mean 2004, but I thought I would toss that up)

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
yeh your charger may have gone. Same machine bought at the end of 04, charger was a gonner. Found and bought for $12 on Ebay. Works like new.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
If you actually read what I wrote mcpscomp, I said I used my brothers laptop's charger.

Yes gerryf, I did infact mean 2004. Sorry for the mistake...

I know a fair bit about computers, and the operating systems themselves, and guessed this would be a hardware-related problem, but, I thought I'd just check.