Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty2 Single Player Lag

• Please log in to reply

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
So I have a ATI Radeon 9800 pro, an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and a gig of dual channel RAM.

First level of CoD2 - Run it fine all on high w/ high resolution

Second level of CoD2 - can't even run it on the lowest graphics w/ the resolution UNDER 800x600

Multiplayer - runs fine on all high settings

WHAT'S WRONG HERE!?

Advertisements

Den Daffn

Den Daffn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everybody,

I've got the same problem. I'm near the potato throwing lesson. My FPS is very low, when I look at the ground, then i get a FPS of 12 (and thats the maximum). Then when i go to the guy who is tied up, I get an PFS of 3 (the minimum).

I've got a friend who has the same graphics card, but less RAM and clockspeed, and he can run it easily on a cool 800 * 600 res, with no lag. And me, I had to put all things to a minimum, 400 * 600, everything off or low on the graphics ...

I tried the multiplayer, and it runs just fine ...

Its not that i have a bad pc or anything, cos i can play F.E.A.R, and BF2 smoothly.

Anyone has any bright ID's, then spill it out ... I would be very glad to get it fixed.

Tried to upgrade my drivers, tried to install the directX form the dvd, ... I haven't got any more ID's ...

Peace out! :) :tazz:

Attached Files

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I also can run BF2 and F.E.A.R. smoothly.

Den Daffn

Den Daffn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Is there a reason why nobody is answering our prairs?

Or is our problem not solvable?

Greetz ...

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Guys, cod2 is a graphics intensive game. If you dont have a 6800 series or equivalent then try these settings..

Try this:

put the resolution at 1024x768

texture filter to bilinear or trilinear

anti-aliasing off

synch every frame NO

shadows Yes/NO your choice, you can change it back to yes if your overall graphics are smoother and higher frames per second after you change and test the changes..

Number of Dynamic lights Try LOW first and if you test the new graphics change and its alot higher fps then either leave it at low or put it to Normal max. Do not try it on High.. It will bog down older video cards that are below a 6800 series..

soften smoke edges World Only

texture settings Automatic

Try these and see if your fps are better. Its more than likely that you have the settings up way to high for your video cards... It certainly seems like it to me..

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, so since my last post on this topic, I've upgraded to the ATI Radeon x850 video card, and put another gig of RAM into this thing, now running at 2 gigs. I'm stilling getting the same problem! I think it might be my processor. I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Den Daffn

Den Daffn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Thanks for posting :) . I tried to put the settings to the ones you told me. But with little success. It still has the same framerate, and I even don't get my maximum ( now the maximum is 9 FPS ).

I didn't have much faith in this anyway, cos I said previously that my settings where at the lowest as possible.

The other one I know (same system) has almost finished the single player allready. :tazz: And I'm still stuck with my louzy framerate.

The settings of the multiplayer are allmost like you said, and that runs fine.

Any more I.D.'s??

Peace out!

PS: My system hardware can be checked at my first post of this topic. Just download the 'Dxdiag.txt' file.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well two users in one thread is a real pain guys.

If you installed new hardware do a full reinstall if the game, DX, and the .net framework(a full reinstall not an update of the framework). If that doesnt sort your problem with the new hardware you have a deeper rooted problem.(maybe with the new hardware a clean install of windows is a good idea if nothing but nothing else works as its drastic for some people to do).

den, stick a hardware summary in the post as its easier if you can glance at it while youre thinking on a fix and helps keeping track of problems.

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So I un-installed CoD2 and re-installed it and got the problems... here are my computer specs (using Everest Home Edition)

CPU - AMD Athlon XP, 2100 MHz (10.5 x 200) 3000+

Motherboard - Asus A7N8X v2.0 Deluxe

RAM - 2047 MB

Video Card - RADEON X850 Series (256 MB)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya seems really weird, you should be getting better fps than that. I made that guideline above because I wanted to make shure you went into every setting.. Sometimes if you just leave one setting to its highest and the rest to low you will still have probs on old video cards for a game like cod2..

I thought you would have the antistrophic filtering set high or something and not know it. Since you followed the guidelines it should be running fine for you kwik8604 with your old card... Since you got the new ati x850 you should be able to run all settings on high except try the texture to trilinear or 2x then antialiasing to off first then to 2x or 4x. Should not have any problems on that at all with resolution of 1024x768 and soften smoke edges World Only.

Sounds like you have a problem somewhere else like warriorscot said.

and for the other guy den daffn your video card is the problem no if ands or buts about it. It only has 4 GB/sec memory bandwidth I downloaded your dxdiag and you have a NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5300 that thing is super slow.
im suprised that it can even load the game, seriously. You need a new video card Den Daffn 4 GB/sec video card is really slow especially for cod2.

You cant play a demanding game like cod2 with 4Gb/sec video card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ps it is hard to do a thread with 2 people, as I did get confused at times and had to go back to see who was who..

Kwik8604

Kwik8604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, my card is an AGP... could that be a problem?

Den Daffn

Den Daffn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, Den Daffn here again,

I'm realy sad about the fact I might never play this game with this computer. I also find it sad that they keep making more demanding games. Why can't they make two games, one for bad computers and one for better computers. They like force you to buy new computers ... and I don't have the cash to buy a new one every year.

Well, I realy thank you all for your support, at least I know what the problem is now. I might just pop into this forum once to put the specs in of the guy who can play it. I would swear he has the same graphics card.

Arividerchi ... ! :tazz:

PS: A lot of people have trouble with my name. In english, "Den" would be something like "Tha". A dialect for "The". And "Daffn" is also a dialect for "David".