Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continuous Beep

• Please log in to reply

dsd1

dsd1

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Im running a Sony Viao PCV-RX650, before i was running on just a plain 256 ram, one day i wanted to upgrade to another 256MB, when I did the old ram fried and the one i got wansted good either i returned that, I went to Frys Electronics and bought, Two 256's PC2100 Mushkin ram. and when i boot up i Get Contious Beeps, long beeps after another and i read at a site that said

Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short.

I was wondering if i can fix this myself or If i have to go to a store and fix this, and if i do the price and all that, I might go to Frys tomorrow and ask them about this prolbem. Thank you in advandce please help me!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dsd1...

Repeating long beeps or a continuous beep can also indicate bad ram, bad keyboard, or a shorted motherboard. I'd look at the RAM first as that was what set this all off to start with. Make sure the RAM is seated firmly in the slots, that it is the correct type for your motherboard, and that it is in working order.

Then check ALL of the cables from the power supply to the motherboard and to the drives.

Try the machine with a different keyboard.

I have had motherboards "crack" when installing RAM. This does not necesarily mean that the board is cracked, but that a trace within the board cracked and is either shorting to another trace, or is simply not allowing a circuit to be completed.

Unless it is the RAM, the keyboard, or a cable issue, it is probably not something you'll be able to repair yourself.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 March 2006 - 09:47 PM.