Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

this damm folder

• Please log in to reply

stressed76

stressed76

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey guys + gals I'm running xp pro on a machine here at home, and a few months ago I created a folder called "scratch" just to put temp files and stuff in there. Well I have no use for it any more and I wanted to delete it and it does....until the next startup it re appears like magic. I went to the command line and deleted it from there and did a C:\dir and low and behold, it's STILL THERE!!!!

Please any help would be great....this is driving me nutz!!!!!! :tazz:

P.S - I've tried the creating a new folder and tried to cut and paste, drag and drop into that folder and still no dice!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi stressed76!

When you say you use this folder for temp files. What programs use this program to store temp files? The reason this folder continues to show itself is most likely because a program needs that folder and if it doesn't exist (like when you deleted it) it remakes the directory so that it can continue to use it for its 'temp' files. Go into the options/settings of the programs that use this folder to store temp files and changing the temp directory to a different folder.

Fenor

stressed76

stressed76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
so I was looking in the properties of the folder and I noticed that it was password encrypted and I never remember applying that to the folder. I don't have a reason to password encrypt that folder. I'm guessing that my nephew was dinkin around on my PC and somehow he enabled password encryption on the folder. So here's the question now, how the [bleep] do I delete it if it's password encrypted and I don't have a password???