Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! No HPA Enabled Drive-Disk Boot Failure-Computer Dummy

• Please log in to reply

greatam48

greatam48

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Purchased new XP computer for my business last July. Athlon 64 3400 motherboard. 160 Gig HD

Lots of problems getting my previous software to work with this computer (Earthlink satellite and Quaalcom satellite). Service Pack 2 is the problem with both of these. Put the computer away until I had lots of time to contact tech support to fix.

Finally got EVERYTHING working as it should in December. This computer is fast and great. Working WONDERFULLY for the past two months.

HOWEVER-turned on computer last Wednesday, waited and waited, couldn't use the keyboard or mouse for anything, finally screen popped up that said DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK and press enter. Tried all the disks that came with the computer (System Utilities 1 & 2, Motherboard and drivers disk, Windows XP disk) and could not go past the disk boot warning.

Contacted Manufacturer-This is email I got.

Your problem is easy to fix since it sounds like your boot partition
has become corrupted. This happens to Windows machines from time to
time (I'll assume your antivirus is up to date and always on) this fix
should take you no more than 30 minutes from beginning to end. Insert
your windows cd and reboot into your bios. Change your boot drive from
hard drive to cd and restart. Windows will now examine your computer
and start the install process. First try the reinstall option that
should work for you with no problems. If a message comes on screen
that says your hard disk is damaged then you'll need to perform a clean
install.

I can't get into BIOS. Can't use keyboard. And now a new message

NO HPA Enabled Drive, Press any key to boot.

Primary Master Disk - None
Primary Slave Disk - None
Secondary Master Disk - None
Secondary Slave Disk - None

Don't know hardly anything about computers (especially hardware and operating systems), but reading that last night made me think that the computer is completely crapped.

Now what do I do??? I have payroll to do again this Friday. I had to do it manually last Friday. I am getting so far behind in my bookkeeping (Quickbooks) that I will never catch up. Do I drive this thing 100 miles to the closest computer repair person??? :tazz:

:) :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Need more information--motherboard, harddrive type, make or model of system

Off hand, it looks like your drive data cable has slipped out.

Your motherboard supports both IDE and serial ata drives (the hta reference) and the motehrboard is saying it cannot find any drive.

With new systems, this is often the result of the drive data cable not being completely in the socket...if the drive was originally only partially installed, the freeze thaw cycle with result in cables working themselves out of their slots.

greatam48

greatam48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the reply.

I can give you information off the invoice. Maybe it will make sense to you:

Custom system, made by Xelius-Kehnn.

RAID Turbo HyperTransport
1Gb PC3200 DDR
160Gig HD
Athlon 64 3400+
Dual layer DVD burner
FX 5200
Windows XP Pro/SP2

What do you mean freeze-thaw-like the weather??? If so, that can't be a factor-I am in the desert in Arizona.

Thanks for your help.