Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow boot 1min

• Please log in to reply

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
ive been optimising me laptop (dell inspiron 510m windowsxp)
disabled many services that i dont require but still my boot takes roughly a minute or so.
i say a dude on this forum recently who complained of a slow boot of 12 seconds haha. i was like "wha".
ive cleaned my prefetch with a batch file
del C:\Windows\prefetch\layout.ini
del C:\Windows\prefetch\*.pf
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
taken off as many startup programs as i "think" i can
as most the services which i dont require.
whats the craic?
any tips
beautron

Advertisements

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
forgot to mention
im livin away from home n dont have me windows cd.
ive run tune up as according to a post afew days ago here also.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi beautron...

What Anti-Virus application do you have running and is it set to load on startup?

wannabe1

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hows it goin wannabe.
i use avg free. its not runnin on start up.
BCMSMMSG.exe
igfxtray.exe
hkcmd.exe
apoint.exe
stacmon.exe
ZCfgSvc.exe are the only things runnin in msconfig startup items.
my automatic services are
automatic updates
BITS
computer browser
cryptographic services
DCOM server process launcher
DNS client
event log
net logon
network connections
plug and play
protected storage
regsrvc
remote procedure call(rpc)
server
shell hardware detection
spectrum 24 event monitor
system event notification
windows audio
windows manegement instrumentation
windows user mode driver framework
wireless zero configuration
workstation

i am not on a network, i connect wireless 801.11b to the internet. i have cleaned my system using the
walkthru on this site (ewido, adaware,cleanup,trojanhunter,spybot etc)and got rid of all "i reckon" spyware malware.
its possible that before i read that walkthru i damaged my regiistry by hacking away at it madly haha.
i used easy cleaner before to clean my registry.not knowing what i was really doing,so maybe its damaged,maybe not.
can i find out?
cheers dude, beautro

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy...

igfxtray.exe <---not needed...Quick access to the control panel via a System Tray icon for graphics based upon the Intel chipsets (ie, i810). These chipsets are often included on motherboards. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

hkcmd.exe <---not needed...Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If the user wishes to have "HotKey" access to Intel's customised graphics properties, it is required, otherwise not. It can be disabled via the Display Properties in the Control Panel

apoint.exe <---user's choice...Touchpad software for laptop PC's. For instance it is found on the Panasonic machines and allows part of the touchpad to be used for document or Web-page scrolling. Required for proper functioning of the pointing software but not required for the laptop to work

stacmon.exe <---user's choice...Installed with the drivers for a SigmaTel C-Major Audio card (on a Dell Inspiron 600m PC for example). Appears as though it can be disabled with no ill effects

ZCfgSvc.exe <---user's choice...Zero Config MFC Application, part of Intel's ProSET utilities and installed by the drivers for many of Intel wireless network cards - essential to the proper functioning of many of the Intel ProSET utilities (but not all) and these System Tray ProSET utilities are a must if you are using your wireless connection, if only so you know when the signal is fading or dropping. The problem is that, in some PCs, ZCFGSVC can be incredibly badly behaved : taking up to 100% of CPU time and therefore resulting in an extremely slow PC, preventing the installation of software or Windows updates, or causing "Not Responding" or "End this Program" shutdown problems. If you experience this, try first the very latest drivers from Intel or your laptop manufacturer. If that still does not solve the problem and you have WinXP/2003, try setting the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service to disabled

Will check into the services...

Check your startup services against This List.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 March 2006 - 05:31 PM.

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok couldnt disable zerowireless so ive tried it on manual (as i use wireless).
read the eldergeek n disabled accordingly.
bootvis tells me my prefetching n driver loading taked from second"3" to "27" which i feel is a long time. no?
then reg, video, logon+server take from 27 to 40 (seconds counting from turn on).
within this time my cpu load ranges from 0 to 100% and after 40seconds there is still a cpu load peak until around 50seconds. is this normal?
now im only running...
cryptographic services,
Dcom server process launcher
event log
network connections
plug n play
protected storage
remote procedure call
spectrum 24 event monitor
windows audio
mindows management instrumentation
windows user mode driver framework
wireless zero configuration
workstation.
i have nothing running in msconfig startup.
any more ideas? cheers, beautron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You've got the startup trimmed about as far as you can trim it. How long does it take to boot up now?

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
last one 40seconds
theres still a bit of activity after that but.
what ye think. there was a dude on here last week sayin his boot took 12 seconds.
is that impossible. i use xp by the way (dell inspiron 510m laptop, 1400ghz pentium m, 1.5gb ram)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A forty second bootup is pretty good. My main machine was booting in 24 seconds...after a format and clean install. It now (with software loaded) takes about 45 seconds from button push to desktop. A 12 second bootup seems a little far fetched to me as XP, all by itself, takes longer than that to load... :tazz:

Anything under a minute is quite good and under 30 is excellent....so, you are right in the ballpark. You may be able to trim another second or two off by keeping the drive defragged, but there's not much more you can trim without losing function.

wannabe1

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
How much RAM u running on beutron? 40 seconds isnt that bad as wannabee said, run chkdsk and defragment for making the boot smoother, seems like thts the only thing u might not have done. Also uninstall programs that u dont use/need esp if u dont have too much free space left.

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
how r ya dagger.
i have me 1.5gb 333mhz ram.
i noticed in bootvis driver delay alot of activity by avg7rsw.sys
this seems to be linked to my antivirus avgfree but ive got all the startup [bleep] from that turned off to my knowledge (in services, and msconfig). might be nothin. looked it up n some dudes say it can be linked to a virus but i dont feel thats the case.
thanks dudes, beautro-h

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I've noticed, lately, that something in sp2 + updates seems to be having issues with SOME antivirus programs

As you're aware, in sp2, the Windows Security Center polls the machine for known firewalls, AV products and windows update. Something in the process has changed subtly during the updates in the past two months and it seems to cause some AV programs on SOME MACHINES to result in slow starting.

I have two almost identical machines with AVAST and one was slow and the other not

Then I had one machine I was working on with AVG that was suddenly slow

In both cases, I removed the AV program with ADD/remove, then deleted the folder from Program Files

Then, I reinstalled the AV program., then updated

In all three cases, the issue went away

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I want to add, though, that the boot process was GREATLY elongated--more like three minutes, not one

I am not sure you have an issue if it is only a 1 minute delay

beautron

beautron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
sounds good jer. but ye know how addictive it can be optimising :tazz:
i keep messin with me pc instead of doin me work.
thanks lads, beautron