Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes won't read iPod

• Please log in to reply

master925

master925

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i recently upgraded to iTunes 6.0.2 from iTunes 4.9. it was quite a jump i know. before i updated iTunes i installed the latest iPod software onto my iPod(i have a third generation iPod, click wheel, black and white screen). Now when i open iTunes i get the message: software for communicating with iPod is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to repair iPod software. I have reinstalled iTunes many times, making sure nothing is left from the previous installations before i reinstall it. i believe i've found the problem but i can't fix it. in order for iTunes to read my iPod both iPodService.exe and iTunesHelper.exe must be running in the background. i noticed that iTunesHelper.exe wasn't running so i went to the iTunes folder and opened it manually. When i watch the task manager it shows iTunesHelper.exe open then disappear within 5 seconds of opening. How can i get iTunesHelper to stay open? (my computer can see my iPod, it's just iTunes that won't read it)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried going back to the last known good version of itunes, or trying winamp they just added ipod support but not having an ipod i dont know how well it works.

master925

master925

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i got winamp and it reads my iPod just fine. i'm still playing with getting music on to my iPod that works properly. if i go back to iTunes 4.9 everything seems to work just fine but as soon as i try and move up to 6.0.2 again i get the same problem. maybe this is something that i'll have to contact apple about.