Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb port conflict

• Please log in to reply

foontas

foontas

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi,

i have wo usb ports connected to the motherboard, two seperate ones attached to a card, and two more that are at the front of the tower that are connected to the usb card.

i got a wireless network adaptor connected to one of the motherboard ports, and, because it caused interference, i connect my mp3 player to the other motherboard port, the bottom back two have a mouse and a bluetooth dongle.

whenever my friend connects his portable harddrive to the front ones, it slows the computer down, can't be ejected properly, and the wireless adaptor stops working,

some thumbdrives also make the adaptor stop working too

is there anyway to resolve this? it drives me nuts cause, whats the point of having those two usb ports at the front if i can't use them when i want to!?

thanks

andrew

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 foontas USB Port Conflicts
8th March 2006

Hello foontas – These USB issues are generally pretty common –Usually by adding an – [Expansion USB Card] will generally solve some issues – but not always – as you are experiencing –

(1) – I need more info on your – Motherboard USB Controller Chipset - & the USB Expansion Card – The easiest way is to download the – Free Home Edition – of – [Everest] & attach 4 Reports that will contain the required info – The attached file will contain Instructions on – [Everest Reports] - & [Attaching Reports] – http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

[See Attachment at bottom of Post -

(2) – Usually the Chipsets from – [Ali] – [VIA] – [SiS] – display the issues that you have –
(3) – Updating the Chipset Driver Files will help
(4) – Also updating – [BIOS] – will help also
(5) – The USB Host Controllers share – [System Resources] – which causes these conflicts – [Device Manager] & [System Info] can display most of all of this info – but – [Everest] – can do this task easier
(6) – Usually when using USB Drives – The Antivirus program will start a – [Scan of Drive] & if yoy have more than – one AV Program running – this will tend to – Slow the PC down –
(7) – Another item that will slow down your PC – is Malware – I noticed that you have Posted several – [Malware Topics] – but have not really completed any of the Threads – Malware can still be contributing to the – [Slowness Issue] –
(8) – We will work with the USB Issues now - but you will have to revisit these [Malware Issues] later

whats the point of having those two usb ports at the front if i can't use them when i want to!?

Tell me how is this wired – Are these – [Ports] – Added or are they – [Native] – to the Tower – or are they a part of a – USB Card Port/Hub Combo – PCI Card [??]

(9) – Besides the USB Host Controllers sharing – [PC Resources] – The USB Devices will share with Audio – Video – Com Ports – Resources that will conflict – One thing to try –If you have an additional PC Slots – try relocating the Added USB Card and/or Wireless Adapter if it is a PC Card also –The – [PC Resources] – are automatically assigned by – [Plug n Play] – during installation – so by moving & finding a suitable – [IRQ Assignment] – combination – may eliminate your conflict problem -

i got a wireless network adaptor connected to one of the motherboard ports, and, because it caused interference, i connect my mp3 player to the other motherboard port, the bottom back two have a mouse and a bluetooth dongle.

(10)- Also Using – [Device Manager] – To Uninstall USB Device Drivers & changing the order of USB Device Installation will help – with a better – [IRQ Assignment] - Also look on the – [Underside] of Mouse & tell me what is written – [Type] – [Manufacturer] – [Model] – [USB Compatible] – [PS2 Compatible] – If it is PS2 Compatible – Then it is a – [Hybrid Mouse] – and a USB/PS2 Adapter can be used - & it can be connected to PS2 Port – This may cure one of the Issues – [The mouse has to say PS2 Compatible]

I need some more general info on PC –

(1) – Manufacturer
(2) – Model Number
(3) – Age of PC
(4) – [Self Build/Custom Build] or [Ready Built]
(5) – Power Supply Info – [Wattage] – [Manufacturer] – [Model]
(6) – USB Card info – [Manufacturer] – [Model #] – [Age] –
(7) – [Chronological Order] of USB Device Installation - & - Problem/Issue progression
(8) – How many – [Com Ports] on PC & how many are free
(9) – Printer Interface – [USB] – [Parallel] – [Serial] – [Wireless Network]
(10)- Printer – [Manufacturer] – [Model #] –
(11)– Modem info – [Type] – [Dial up] – [Cable] – [DSL] – [Onboard] – [PCI] – [External]

Download Attachment -

Attached File  01_EVEREST_4F_Attatchment.doc   33KB   27 downloads

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 08 March 2006 - 07:07 PM.

foontas

foontas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
sorry about the late reply, i do want this problem resolved.

all the usb ports are wired onto the motherboard. so, no pci cards

mouse - intellimouse optical 1.1A USB and ps/2 compatible

computer
by pc i did assume you meant motherboard?
1) gigabyte
2) GA-8IE800
3) more than 4 years
4) i didn't put it together myself if thats what your asking
5) 300w, ATX P4 power supply unit
6) -
7) you lost me on that one
8) 8 com ports:
4 bluetooth com ports (DUN(COM5), FAX(COM7), LAN(COM6), SERIAL(COM4))
2 communications port on the motherboard COM1&2
printer port LPT1
standard serial over bluetooth link (com10)
9) cannon - usb on other computer, brother - parallel
10) cannon - S820, brother MFC 9500, both connected to another computer on network
11) cable, through wireless network

i hope that is all the info you asked for.

is there any difference b/w using the ps2 port than the usb port for the mouse?

thanks

andrew

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 – foontas –[USB Port Conflicts]
13th March 2006

sorry about the late reply

Ok- Thanks for the reports – They generally answered my questions – So here are my – [Comments – Conclusions] & [Suggestions] -

is there any difference b/w using the ps2 port than the usb port for the mouse?

This is from my experience – I find that – [Ps/2 Input Devices] function better -

(1) – Both – [PS/2 Input Devices] – have exclusive IRQs = Less chance of conflicts
A- PS/2 Keyboard has IRQ-01
B- PS/2 Mouse has IRQ-12

(2) – USB Devices require – [Native Operating System Support] – to function – and rely on – [Legacy USB Support] – to work during the – BIOS Applications – and may not be supported during DOS applications & Diagnostics that use – DOS environment

(3) – It is best not to mix – [Input Devices] – Either use both USB Keyboard & Mouse – Or use both PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse – Having one USB & one PS/2 often have trouble with MS Updates – [??]

(4) – Using PS/2 Input Devices – will free up the already limited amount of USB Ports –

(5) – The one advantage of USB – Is that USB can be Plugged & Unplugged – [HOT] – While PS/2 is not recommended to unplug while power is – [ON] – Although many people do it with – No bad effects –[??] – but it is risky to do so –

(6) – Part of my recommendations is to convert the USB Mouse to PS/2 using the USB/PS2 Adapter that should have been packaged with the – Mouse Container – So you can free up a USB 2.0 Port -

whats the point of having those two usb ports at the front if i can't use them when i want to!?
i do want this problem resolved

Ok – This is a case of – [Proper Engineering Design] being – compromised – by – [Poor Integration Engineering] – coupled with – [Poor Case Selection] and/or –[Poor Power Supply Selection] - with regards to Front USB Ports - [Wiring Integration]

The Front USB Ports – have some inherent poor qualities – and are the least usable -

(1) – [Miss-wired] – Usually there is confusion over the – [Ground Wiring] –
(2) – Also the cabling markings/pin locations are unclear –
(3) – [Front Panel USB] – are generally – [USB 1.1] –
(4) – Usually the Front USB Ports are – [Low Power] 100 milliamp
(5) – Chances are the – [Front Panel Cabling] appears to be sensitive to – EMI emissions from Wireless – or from Hard drive – mainly associated with grounding and/or shielding practices [??]
(6) – It is same Chipset – Just seems to be – [Poor Integration Engineering] The EMI Specs are not just for the – {Emitting Source] – but for the other devices that function in same environment – And for the Power & Data Cabling Integration to practice Effective EMI Standards to – Diminish EMI & not be the Antenna
(7) – Improper or poor Power Cabling sharing – with EMI Producing Devices – Fan Power should only be shared with other Fans – Hard Drives should not share Power Cables –
(8) – Now you want to reserve these Front Ports for – [Simple] – [Low Power USB Devices] – Such as Mice – Keyboard – Simple Printers -

The best – [USB Ports] –
Are the two that are – [Directly Connected] – to Motherboard via of – [Hardwired Connectors] – Obviously there is very little chance of any miss-wiring – only – [Poor Soldering] – Plus they are usually – [Shielded] – and are high powered – 500 milliamp – [USB 2.0 uses IRQ-23] – USB 1.1 uses IRQ-16 which is also shared with the – [Video Card]

Next Best –
The other 2 rear USB Ports are USB2.0 Compatible also but are probably limited to medium USB power
devices – 300 milliamp – They are probably – [Ribbon Cable Connected ] to a USB – [PCI Connector Plate] – that contains 2 USB Ports – [USB 2.0 uses IRQ-23] – [USB 1.1 uses IRQ-19]

An easy & quick solution to your problem would be to – Belkin F5U224 USB2.0 – 4 Port HUB –
http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=123917

This HUB is available from the Internet – Office Depot – and several other Computer Stores -

(1) – Purchase a –USB 2.0 – [4 Port External Powered Hub] – [Belkin F5U224]
(2) – Disconnect your USB Mouse & connect to PS/2 Port – using USB/PS2 Port Adapter
(3) – Probably need to – [Disable USB Legacy Mouse Support] in BIOS – [Integrated Peripherals] Section
(4) – Now connect New Hub to this vacated – [USB 2.0 Rear Port]
(5) – Connect External USB Power Pack to AC Power Receptacle – Verify – [External/Internal] Switch is in the – [External] – Position
(6) – Follow Installation & Setup Instructions supplied with HUB – Drivers should already be installed – PnP should find the HUB & install automatically -
(7) – Place & use this – 4 Port Hub as Front USB Ports –
(8) – IF the other older USB Devices are working ok – Leave them be – Otherwise we will try a different combination – If any or both of theses devices are USB 1.1 – and no Video conflicts with IRQ-16 – I would leave this alone -
________________________________________________________________________________

Using the HUB releases Power Drain from - [PC +5 Volt – USB Power] – which is usually 2 – 3 amps – The HUB has it own External Supply and will only draw – 2 milliamps from the PC USB Controller – The only problem would be the sharing of the –[IRQ-19 for USB1.1] or [IRQ-23 for USB2.0]– (Depending if Devices are USB2.0 or USB1.1) -

Hopefully this should work for you – If in the future – you need additional USB Ports – I suggest using a USB 2.0 Expansion PCI Card – that is – [USB 2.0 & IEEE 1394 COMBO] – that has Front Panel Adapter that fits into a 3 ½ Inch Drive Bay – and has an Internal USB 2.0 Port Connection to Expansion Card -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 March 2006 - 06:12 PM.