Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some opions :-)

• Please log in to reply

Metatron2012

Metatron2012

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm i read a review that said the 6800GS has problems with dual core processors with a certain driver....
some guy on newegg.com

It just made me nervous thats all.....

but i still want to get the card.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There lots of people that dont know what they are talking about when they do reviews, its nothing to do with the gfx card its the games themselves that have problems with dual cores as they are still relativley new and it isnt worth while to patch old games to handle a second core so you have to set the affinity in task manager for games that have a problem basically making the other core invisible to that game so it runs on one.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Exactly warriorscot. I explained it to people atleast 5 times before.

Metatron2012

Metatron2012

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
silly Question but. How long would you guys estimate that windows Xp pro will still be good for gaming.
some peple say that 5 years more and xp pro is gonna fase out.

cause i really hate windows vista...its microsofts way of spying on your comp, everytime you go on the web vista lets microsoft look at your comp for anything they want.

even my instructors know this and told me not to get it, but yea i was just curious.

Edited by Metatron2012, 13 March 2006 - 10:12 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should be allright for a couple of years if you have the x64 but games are going to switch increasingly to vista, theres so much about vista that people dont know about alot of its speculation, and most people allready give google and MS that privalege allready, they are very limited as to what they are legally allowed access and use.

Vista is also going to be MSs best gaming OS and there is a huge range of features built specifically for gaming and has a great spate of features directly connected with DX10 which is another feature great for gaming which wont work as well on XP as it does for vista.

Ive been explaining it even longer than that, im almost tempted to put a canned post for it.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Do what im going to end up doing. Have one gaming pc with windows xp on it and get another gaming pc with windows Vista full version when it comes out.

Im going to atleast try vista when it comes out the "full version" not beta on my second pc.

Metatron2012

Metatron2012

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
you mean directX10.
so thats why you said i should hold of on the expensive video cards cause directX10 comes out todays video cards wont support it...and theyll have to wait for the Nvidia and ATI to make DirectX10 video cards...i see now

i might get vista im still debating....ill get it if they dont search pepoles computers and report illegal programs. :-)