Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra wireless keyboard, can I install on Windows 98?

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
When I closed out OE, the Illegal Procedure box came up, then at the bottom of that box something appeared I've never seen. I don't quite know how to explain it as it appeared and disappeared so quickly but the information it was collecting "about" kept changing.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried doing the repair of office now that you've found your disks?

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
No. As there are two discs I wanted to hear from you before I went any further.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
SHOULD....just need disk one

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Did it. Used disc 1, then turned the computer off and restarted. Need I do anything more? Looked for Office 10 but could not find any.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's see if the lockups continue...

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Just did a FIND for DW.log- found nothing, then FIND for DW.log file and lots of items came up, from Program files to dw.log(couldn't get it) to many others. Need I do anything with these now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not right now

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
There is now a Dr. Watson icon on the bottom of my computer, it was never there before. What in the world is Dr. Watson?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
dr watson is a microsoft system debugging tool what happens if you double click that thing?

Advertisements

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Double left click, a large box comes up that the top part says Adobe Manager has altered Windows system files. Then there is a lower box you can type in your problem.

Double right click, a short vertical list:
Dr. Watson
Open log files
options
Exit Dr. Watson

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open log files would open those .dw files....but i'm not sure if we'd beable to find the right one...(haven't worked in Dr Watson in quite some time)....are the crashes still occuring?

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I probably won't know until tomorrow. By Monday I will know for sure, one way or the other.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
So far no Illegal Procedure notices. But, I decided to try ScanDisk. This notice came up "ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner." I had already disabled ScreenSaver. I clicked "Do not tell me this again" and let ScanDisk continue. I came back about 20 minutes later, the computer clock had stopped at 11 minutes into Scanning and the screen was frozen. Nothing happened with Control/Alt/Dlt or Enter, so I finally had to shut off power to the computer. When turning the power on I did an AdAware check and an Avg check, all O.K.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I spoke too soon. I just closed Outlook Express and got the Illegal Procedure notice.