Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I completely remove all traces of IE6 (sp2)?

• Please log in to reply

kevinski

kevinski

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,
I've recently installed FireFox on my system and would like to make it the sole program for browsing the internet. It's my default browser and everything, but IE6 SP2 still exists on my system. I uninstalled it through the 'Add/Remove Programs' feature in the control panel, but it is still on my HDD.

Will I have to go into the registry to remove anything? Can I remove Internet Explorer 6 completely? I rate FireFox much more highly especially as IE6 keeps 'clicking' and opening web pages even though they don't show up on my screen (just in my history)!

Please help!! Thanks_____

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is ill advised to remove ie from your system, if for no other reason than windows updates

I would not remove it...just do not use it

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Internet explorer is intertwined into the OS so deeply that it is impossible to completely delete the program. My wife liked all the bells anf whistles on IE until she started getting some bad BHO's. So i installed firefox and she is happy again. Most of the time firefox is good for the internet, but once in a great while she needs to open IE to be able to get to some webpages. Since she still has IE it is no problem to use it every once in a while.

There used to be a OS called 98 Lite that had IE taken out of the OS. This has moved forward to where there is a XP Lite that is only 350MB in size. I tried XP lite and found it seemed like a old win 98 revert. All the good things of Xp were taken out along with some of the bad things.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

SRX660