Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP installed ON TOP of Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply

jin23

jin23

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I had Windows XP Pro on my notebook a year ago, but downloaded XP Home "over" it. Where can I find information on backing up all of my data and installing Windows fresh?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jin23...

By "downloaded XP Home "over" it", do you mean you installed XP Home over the Pro? Open My Computer and double-click on the C: drive. How many Windows folders are there?

It is not always necesary (or prudent) to format and start fresh.

wannabe1

jin23

jin23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, I installed both on the same hardrive. Yes, there are two on the C: drive. I was told by a geekstogo staff member that this results in system instability. If it isn't that big a deal, then I guess I'll just leave it alone. Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, what I had in mind is removing the unwanted operating system for just the reasons you stated.

It would be best to keep the original installation.

wannabe1