Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change in appearance of Norton LiveUpdate

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hello,

This is not a problem, but I am curious: I opened my Norton Internet Security 2004 liveupdate today, and the interface was different than it had been yesterday.

Previously, the screen had a picture of a computer and symantec logo (yellow and black circle) on the left side, and the icons next to the program parts that could be updated were little computers with an antenna.

Now, the left side has a yellow picture of the new symantec logo and the icons in the list of program components that can be updated is a half-yellow/half-white square.

Does anyone know what caused the change in appearance? I was not notified of any changes to the program interface; the last thing I updated was jus the virus definitions.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• live2.JPG
  • liveupdate.JPG

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks like the changed the GUI in your last update, check for the updates just before it changed and see if they mention it, if you think there is a problem you could always head over to the malware forum and get them to check you out.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks for your quick reply!

How could I check which updates were installed when? And what should I look for to indicate an update to the GUI? I tried reading the log.liveupdate, but could make little sense of it.

Could the change be due to an update for "WMI user interface"?

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 09 March 2006 - 12:00 PM.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Well, now I feel bright. :tazz:

I finally looked at the version of liveupdate, and it was 3.0.0.160; I did not know that Liveupdate could update it's own software (since if you have Norton 2004 for example, you have to buy the newer version).

Can anyone else who has LiveUpdate v3.0.0.160 tell me if your window looks like mine? (the top pic that has the xp theme in green)

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Release Date: March 1, 2006
File: lusetup.exe (3,107,168 bytes)
Description: Version 3.0.160 update for 32-bit Windows LiveUpdate files.
Improvements in Product Integration Support
Improvements in Network Bandwidth Utilization
Logging & Diagnostics Enhancements
Usability Improvements
This version of the LiveUpdate Client supports LiveUpdate Administrator server version 1.5.7 and above.
Please download and use the latest version of the LiveUpdate Administration Utility if LiveUpdate Administrator Support is required.

The 3.0 release contains integrated Enterprise management features that are compatible with the Symantec Enterprise Security Architecture (SESA) v2.x.

http://www.symantec....iles/lu/lu.html