Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijack This results

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I've been unable to download and install new anti-virus/spyware/malware programs. On the two occaions that the installation succeeded (Avast and PC-Cillin), my computer froze when it had fully booted. I went to the Windows XP forums and posted the following:

I have Windows XP Pro. I have McAfee Avert Stinger v260, Microsoft
| AntiSpyware, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, SBC Yahoo! Anti-Spy,
| SBC Yahoo! Online Protection, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster,
| Trend Micro Anti-Spyware installed in my pc. Recently, I attempted to
| install 3 new anti-virus/spyware/adware programs to my pc. The first two
| program caused my computer to freeze up when it had fully booted. I had a
| very hard time trying to quickly uninstall them prior to my pc fully booting,
| but I was able to do it. Today, I went to the Microsoft Site at
| http://safety.live.c...-US/default.htm and attempted to perform a Tune
| Up and a Full Service Scan. I allowed pop-ups and Active-X but the programs
| couldn't completely download. I then turned off my firewall and all of the
| anti-virus/malware/adware programs in my pc in case they were stopping the
| programs from downloading, but the Tune Up and the Full Service Scan programs
| still could not completely download.
|
| How do I find out what is stopping me from downloading and installing new
| anti-virus/spyware/malware programs and causing my pc to freeze if they do
| download and install?

The response that I received was:

You should slim down the number of apps..

- and -

Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.spywarein.../HijackThis.exe

Create a HJT log file and post it in one of the below locations... (I chose this forum)

Forums where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

I ran HiJack This as recommended and attached the results.

Please review the results for the test. I would appreciate any recommendations that you can give me. Modifications made to my security settings since the test was performed include the requirement for a cookie to be okay'd by me before it is installed in my pc.

Denise

Attached Files

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Most, if not all, of the programs that were at the top of the your signature link were not freeware and if I purchased several of them to solve the problem that I'm having with installing Avast and/or PC-cillin, I would have to spend over $200.00. I did purchase one program, PConPoint for $41.65. One other program was good and it was free; however, it was complicated (as claimed by its creator). The first thing I had to do was to tell it where my Windows Installation Program is located. I have no idea where it is. A search (including hidden and system files) for the file name that it mentioned turned up no results.

If the problem persists, I'll have my pc reformatted, which will cost about $100.00.

Denise

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know where you clicked..but all of the programs on http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html that page are free (except ewido which is a 14 day trial...) pcpoint is NOWHERE on the list of software in the section which i told you to go to..