Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving email messages

• Please log in to reply

fern36

fern36

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello! :tazz:

I'm new and pretty thick, so any information in very simple English would be a help! I've got Outlook Express and XP. It gets incredibly slow to open emails and even folders. I've got quite a few messages, and need most of them, but haven't got the time to sort out which ones i can bin. I did search through different posts and tried the microsoft guide, got a bit of info that I can understand, but not much. I have tried to compact them, but I get an error message saying 'folder in use by other application' which I can't work out. I would like to save the messages onto a CD, but a) I don't know how (I know how to save individual, but not the whole lot) and b) If the folders are currupted, should I try to uncurrupt (don't think that's a proper word!) them before saving? And how, if so?

I hope this made sense. Thank you very much for your time.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how you get on with this

http://support.micro...kb/270670/en-us

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok thanks I'll give it a go, but what about the fact that they may be corrupted?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What indication do you get that they are corrupted

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
when i checked the microsoft support page (different from the one you gave me) it said that the folders corrupt very easily and to compact them as the first step in fixing them. since i can't compact them, doesn't that mean they might be corrupted?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a link for the page you went to

Try a folder see how it does

As long as you don't delete the source you can redo the folder

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
http://www.microsoft...corruption.mspx

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing?? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only thing I would do from that is disconnect from the internet, disable the anti virus then save the folders, on the assumption that they have already been scanned

Make sure you enable the anti virus before connecting to the internet

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello again!

I finally managed to do what it said and have a mail backup on my desktop, but I'm having trouble with the CD. I copied the folder to a CD and then when I try to Import it I get an error message 'No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open'. Funnily enough, this was the same message I was getting yesterday with the ones I copied to my desktop. Today the desktop ones are fine, but the CD ones are still giving me this message. (I didn't change anything on the desktop ones, just waited a day) What could be using them? I get a similar message when I try to compact them.

Thanks for your help and time

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It may be because the file names are exactly the same as the ones which are already in OE, can you try to copy them from the CD to a folder you create in my documents

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
YEAH!!!!!!!! Did it! I copied the CD to my desktop (to my docs didn't work, don't know why?) and I was able to import them then to OE. Thank you soooooo much for your help! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know