Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows can't find msconfig

• Please log in to reply

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
:tazz: when I try to run msconfig, get message that Windows can't find msconfig. Also in Outlook express, forward button is gone, must click on reply to forward. When I run SSI System scan it finds Viewpoint Manager, even though I removed it using uninstall and removed it from registry.

I have no other symptoms, but am fearful of spyware. I have run spybot, adaware, a2, hijack,ccleaner, panda. Nothing found. Any suggestions? Especially want msconfig back.
I'm new to this kind of forum.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi RUSYAZMAN!

Please go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, noting the space between SFC and /SCANNOW. This will run the built-in System File Checker, which will check your operating system files to see if any are missing/corrupt. If it finds any, you may be asked to insert your Windows XP CD. Do so if so asked. Once the blue bar has gone away reboot your computer and post back how things are going and we will continue from there.

Fenor

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK I ran the command, put in the disk (I hope the right one - reinstilation CD Xp home edition-) after i clicked, it then continued to search that all was there, and I rebooted, and still no msconfig

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One thing I would like to ask. Do you have a C:\ServicePackfiles folder? If you do, go to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles and copy msconfig.exe from there to C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries.

Easy way to do this is to go to START-->RUN and type cmd and at the command prompt type:

copy C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\msconfig.exe C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries

Fenor

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Did that at prompt typed y and enter
rebooted
still no msconfig

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What about when you try typing in regedit in the run window (START-->RUN). Does that work? Also try control panel. Does that work as well?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 March 2006 - 08:30 PM.

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
regedit and control panel work

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Ok good....

First, verify that the file exists by clicking start/run and typing in:

%windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe

And click OK. This should open it. If it does, then you need to fix the
registry as follows: Go to START-->RUN and type regedit. Expand the plus (+) symbols to reach
this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE

Click on the key, then in the left pane double click the (default) string.
Copy/paste this into it:

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe

Click OK and close the registry editor. Then try running just msconfig
again.

If it does not exist, we will need to expand a new copy from the WinXP CD or
I386 folder on your system.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 March 2006 - 08:33 PM.

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
There is no MSCONFIG at that key

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did a search and msconfig.exe exists in service pack files and in PCHEAlth\hlpr\binaries

if that helps

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please download the attached msconfig.zip file and extract the msconfig.reg located inside of it to your desktop. Once it is on your desktop, double-click the file to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\msconfig.reg to the registry?. Then try going back to START-->RUN and typing msconfig and see if it works. If it doesn't, reboot your computer and try it again.

Fenor

Attached Files

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
WOW! YOU ARE GOOD!
Thanks for the fast and expert reply.
How can I donate to the site?

GREAT HELP

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad I could be of help! :tazz: As for donations, they are not necessary, but if you feel so inclined, you can donate by using the following link: Donate to GeeksToGo.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just reread your initial post and you said something about the forward button not being there in Outlook Express. Open up Outlook Express and right click any of the grey area to the right of the FIND button and choose CUSTOMIZE. A new window will appear and you will see AVAILABLE TOOLBAR OPTIONS and CURRENT TOOLBAR BUTTONS. Locate the FORWARD button in the AVAILABLE TOOLBAR OPTIONS list, highlight it and click ADD. Then locate the FORWARD button in the CURRENT TOOLBAR BUTTONS list and highlight it and then click the MOVE UP button until it is listed just after the REPLY ALL button. Then click CLOSE and the forward button should now be there.

See attached picture for clarification on where to right-click to select CUSTOMIZE.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• CustomizeOEButtons.JPG

Edited by Fenor, 09 March 2006 - 09:25 PM.

RUSYAZMAN

RUSYAZMAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It is present in regular mail when I receive it, but if it is a forward, I have to click on reply button on left top and open dialog box to forward
strange