Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network setup

• Please log in to reply

Odessa

Odessa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
My laptop (LT) Win XP, connects to my home wireless network via a Linksys Wireless-G card. The LT can connect to the internet via the WRT54GS Linksys router. However, the LT cannot connect to my Desktop (DT) Win 98SE, which is hard wired
to the router. The DT can also connect to the internet via Verizon DSL.

Thanks for the help.
RD - Odessa,FL

Edited by Odessa, 09 March 2006 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you copied the files to your 98 machine?
For xp and 98 to talk you have to run the network setup wizard which will
ask you to make a floppy disk which you can put in the 98 machine.
If you do not have a floppy disk then you can put the xp cd in the 98 machine
and when it starts choose other then network

Odessa

Odessa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks peterm for reading my post.

Used the Win XP home edition on my desktop Win 98SE PC

Had 6 options to select from, but only 2 would load on the 98 PC.

1. Set up Remote Desktop connection.

2. Set up home or small office network.

Tried both but no joy!

Where do I go from here??

-=RD=-

Edited by Odessa, 10 March 2006 - 08:39 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You can skip step 3 because you have already put the files on the 98 with the cd

Did you Share your C drive on the 98.

I am not sure how much knowledge you have so forgive me if I am asking things that seem obvious to you.

If you are running the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP, you must be logged on as an administrator in order to complete this procedure.

Start Network Setup Wizard

Follow the steps on your screen to configure your home or small office network.

When you come to the page that reads, You're almost done, insert a blank, formatted floppy disk into the drive, and then click Create Disk.

Important
• If you have already run the Network Setup Wizard, and did not create the floppy disk, you will need to run it again to create the floppy disk. When you do so, you must enter the same information for your network as you did when you ran the wizard the first time.

Top of page
Note
• To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

• The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

• Run the wizard on the Windows XP host computer first. The host computer is the one sharing its Internet connection.

• Before running the Network Setup Wizard on computers running Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition, make sure Internet Connection Sharing is disabled on these computers.