Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen, XP won't load

• Please log in to reply

awallace

awallace

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am hoping someone can enlighten me as to why xp won't load. When I turn on the computer all I get is a black screen. There's not alot to explain. The last time the computer ran the mouse froze up so we turned the computer off manually to reboot. When we went to turn the pc back on - nothing. The pc itself - power light is on, cd and dvd drawers open. The wireless mouse and keyboard are not responding so I put my old one back on (not wireless) but again nothing. F8 doesn't work, I even tried putting in the xp installation disk back - nothing. I'm on the schedule for a very expensive repair man to come out on Monday - I was hoping I could get a jump start on this. Most important - and I hope I am not the only dummy out there but I have no restore disk. I have tons and tons of photos that I would be crushed if I lost. Can someone help - PLEASE.

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
If black black black not even post plus frozen dead onlast use and key board not responding during start up.... I would think you have a serious over heat problem on an older system. Or that is what my feeling is any way. Be side my feeling you can alway check all the connections but some how that dead CPU will be my first bet. Wait a bit longer to see if what other techs have to say. all what you did only work after all the basic hardware checked and work.
did not mean to disappointed you but can't think of any thing else to check.
But if I was right, only if I right, the good thing is all your data ia recoverable with a new CPU.

Edited by mcpscomp, 10 March 2006 - 05:50 PM.