Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

weird HD drives problem

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
1. I need the brand and model of your new hard drive. I thought I saw it in WinAudit, but it is not the right thing. Look on the box that the HD came in, or on the sticker on the HD.

2. Why do you want to format your computer and start from scratch? Are you experiencing other problems? Do you have a restore CD or an XP CD to reinstall Windows?

Advertisements

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

2. Why do you want to format your computer and start from scratch? Are you experiencing other problems? Do you have a restore CD or an XP CD to reinstall Windows?

i just want to reformat... its better for me really, i didnt experience any problems, i just wanna clear the comp of its stuff... the files and such. i dont have a restore cd, but i have a legit copy of windows xp that i got with my computer when i bought it.

1. I need the brand and model of your new hard drive. I thought I saw it in WinAudit, but it is not the right thing. Look on the box that the HD came in, or on the sticker on the HD.

the hd is a seagate barracuda 200gb SATA drive, all new.

edit - my problem is excaly like this post.

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101761

i posted and see who is willing to help.

Edited by silencer.dot, 11 March 2006 - 07:39 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There's a rule at the top that says:

"To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up."

To answer your question, SCSI is different than ATA. Therefore, when installing from an XP CD, you need to press F6 when it is starting up so it loads the SCSI drivers.

I'm about to look for your HD and pictures to help you set it as slave.

If you have any more questions regarding this, please post here.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm currently downloading the picture for you. It may take a few minutes, since I'm on dial up right now...

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok, more things are happening, i just rebooted and went to the xp bio screen, i press f6 and then enter cause i dont have the discs to install the drives or anything. then it loads more.... after that i press enter again to reformat, still the same message continues.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm just realizing you're installing a SATA drive, not SCSI. This is much different...and they are set up differently than ATA.

Here's what I found:

Configuring the drive
Each drive on the Serial ATA interface connects in a point-to-point configuration with the Serial ATA host adapter. There is no master/slave relationship because each drive is considered a master in a point-to-point relationships. If two drives are attached on one Serial ATA host adapter, the host operating system views the two devices as if they were both "masters" on two separate ports. This means both drives behave as if they are Device 0 (master) devices.

Serial ATA drives are designed for easy installation with no jumpers, terminators, or other settings. It is not necessary to set any jumpers on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the signal connector is for factory use only.

Which means you need a second SATA cable, and a second SATA attachment on the Motherboard, rather than attaching both on the same cable. At least I think...I haven't dealt with SATA before.

It would probably be better if you started a topic in the Hardware forum, so they can help you set it up and format it correctly.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 March 2006 - 08:16 PM.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i did made another topic at the hardware forum, go check it out. Jack123 helped me on this one.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Jack123 really knows his stuff :tazz:

In that topic, he said he considers it closed, since your problem was soved. So I would consider starting a new one. I think he may have unsupscribed to that topic, so he wouldn't see it if you add a new post.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i just want to know how to make my new sata drive into a slave. now im figuring out how do i get my hands on a copy of the drives for my sata hd.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok, i successfully reformated the computer. now on to the harddrive. thanks for your help tho computerwiz12890, you been alot of help ^_^ thanks alot again.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're welcome. :tazz:

So you got it all set up the way you want?