Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Messed up firewalls!

• Please log in to reply

Xantos89

Xantos89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well, when i had first had problems with this, I was trying to host games in WC3. I discovered my problem was that the security in my old router was stopping me from doing it so i would just unplug the router and connect the cable straight to my computer. I got this new wireless router to connect my laptop but when i want to unplug my router to get past the security for my desk computer It has the same security. Now I can't upload files to websites or even send files to freinds over AIM. I can't directly connect to them either they have to connect to me.

I turned off my firewalls at one time and it did nothing... Any ideas how to fix this internet thing?

Advertisements

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Um...anyone there?

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Nobody knows what happened to my computer...

J-B

J-B

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Xantos89,

I have just spent a few hours sorting opinions from facts on my own security issues.

Sounds to me like you are having some of the same issues with data being able to come and go as you want it to.

The issue seems two fold:
A) Hardware router\Firewall.
B) Software Firewall.

My advice is to sort out for real what the problem is, your real worl work around (unplugging and bypassing) is a good short term fix but it does not address the issue.

I had a lot of success at https://www.grc.com/default.htm.
My advice is to go through the SheildsUP and Leaktest sections step by step. I have found myself that taking the time to go step by step rather than skimming here has made the difference for me.

I would be interested to hear if this helps.

Best

J-B