Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't get my sound to work. I don't know what the problem is

• Please log in to reply

qtbecky

qtbecky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
history of system: When I first put windows 2000 on my system not to long afterword the system crashed and would not boot up. It told me the file that was messing up causing the computer not to boot up so I put a working hard drive on as master and mine on as slave then I went in to mine and deleted the file. I forgot what the file was called. At the time I had told my brother the name of the file and he said it was the sound or multi media file and that it would have a lot to do with why my sound does not work.It started with an "m" I just can't remember. but when I deleted it my system would boot up again but the sound did not work. I have a built in sound card and another sound card I added but that sound card came with a whole sound system w\sub woffer and 6 speakers and another little box some how with my moving around I lost the other little box and some of the thing I need to plug in can plug in so I don't know If I can even use the sound system, sound card, or even just the speakers anymore The added sound card is sound blaster audigy 2 creative model sb0280 the sub woffer says inspire 6.1 6600 the other box I lost said thx dvd and some other stuff. I tryed fixing the problem from losing the box and bought another box not the same box but thoght it might work it is creative labs model no. sb0490 sound blaster usb but I don't know if it will work because i still haven't gotten my sound to work from the other problem. also the box I lost had plugs that don't plug into the new box or the sound card. plus I tryed fixing the problem by updating the driver and now when I try to see about my sound info it tells me something about a modem I must have messed it up some how I am not shore how to go about fixing my sound with all of these problems. Do you think you can help or do I make any since at all i know it is all messed up but it has been messed up for a while and everytime i try fixing it I make it worse some how also my brother told me my sound card that is built in can be conflicting with the creative one. Maybe you can help. Thanks becky

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you have a Windows 2000 install cd? I am a little concerned about the unknown file you deleted and suggest you run the system file checker to make sure all the system files are intact. You need to put the W2K cd in the drive and then go to start, run and type this: scf /scannow
Note the space before the slash. That is the way to do it. Reboot the computer, and access the bios. A common means of bios access is to hold down the delete key while booting up. Your system may use another key, like F2 maybe. Check your system documentation. You want to disable on board audio if you are going to use the PCI audio (Creative, I think you said). Save changes and reboot. Post your system specs in your reply as this will assist folks who want to try to help you.

qtbecky

qtbecky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the windows 2000 cd but it might take me some time to find it. Thankyou I will look for the cd and try to post my computer specs up for you.