Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GUI oversized...

• Please log in to reply

filmguy40886

filmguy40886

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dear GeeksToGo,

Recently I tried reinstalling Windows XP Pro w/SP2 because I was having issues with the media player, track licensing, and Napster (a problem for another day...maybe.) While trying to re-install I had several failed attempts due to multiple missing components (well over twenty) so during one particular re-install I chose the cancel option, I was going to try a repair install instead I believe (it has been some time now...patience wore thin.) After canceling and rebooting the computer I began having this problem where the graphical user interface is oversized. I first tried adjusting the resolution but that didn't help. I tried system restore and that didn't help. Upon rebooting after the system restore I noticed that the BIOS is oversized as well, which lead me to believe that the problem may not lie in the OS. I tried updating the video drivers as well. Anything else supercedes my minimal knowledge of my PC. I am at the point of re-formatting the hard drive in hopes it will rid me of my problem. Is there anything I can do to prevent me from beginning that long and tedious task?

Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. All the installing/cancelling repairing/cancelling probably has windows using default video drivers. Go to the control panel, add/remove programs. Do you see the video driver listed? Remove it, reboot and let windows find the correct driver.

filmguy40886

filmguy40886

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for your reply Austin-o,

I went to the Add/remove and removed the current video driver. The computer prompted me to reboot, I did. Upon reloading Windows the problem still existed. In the lower right corner a dialogue bubble appeared offering to fix the screen resolution, I clicked on it to allow it to do so. The resolution changed but everything still stretched beyond the screen.

Should I have put the resource CD with device drivers into the drive before rebooting?