Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer enters Standby immediately after statrtup

• Please log in to reply

FrodoV

FrodoV

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I've just bought a new acer Veriton 7800. It has onboard graphics and shipped with a radeon x700 PCI-E graphics card. Whenever i boot up with the x700 card in, my computer enters standby immediately after startup. Upun being woken from standyby, it goes straight back into it.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers for the card from CD. The drivers for the x700 on the CD it shipped with were not the most recent, so I then downloaded the most recent ones from ati's website, upon attempting to install them I a message appeared informing me that DirectX 8 was not installed, and that I should install it before proceding. Continuing without heading the message provided no usefull result, ie. installation unsuccessful. DirectX 9.0c is already installed on my computer. Upon attempting to install DirectX 8, a message appeared whic hsaid that it was not designed for use on windows NT.

The computer works fine if i remove the x700 and just use the onboard graphics, I can boot into safe mode with the x700 in.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Advertisements