Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4 computers, all network except one

• Please log in to reply

tom_s

tom_s

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, this is my setup:

Internet
|
|
\/
DLink 502T ADSL Router
|
|
|
\/
Belkin 54G Wireless Router
|
|
|
\/
Two computers connected via ethernet, two connected via wireless.

_____

Workgroup: MSHOME
Computer Names:
Wired:
> TOM
> (linux pc, no file sharing needed)

Wireless:
> Laptop
> CENFIN

____

Okay, here's the problem. All the computers, (forget the linux one) are running Windows, and are all part of the same workgroup.

They can all ping each other.

CENFIN and TOM can interact completely without problems, file sharing works.

Laptop can't access the shared folders on either of these PC's some times, some times it works fine. Seems random. Though most of the time it doesn't work.

In 'My Network Places' on all three widnows computers, it lists the three computers.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this problem, and more importantly, how to correct it?

Also, the laptop can connect to the internet fine, just not the other networked computers.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, this is what it says in the error box when trying to connect to 'laptop':

\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator od this serber to find out if you have permissions.

The network path was not found.

Edited by tom_s, 11 March 2006 - 08:09 AM.

Advertisements

tom_s

tom_s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, I ust tried typing 'EVENTVWR' on my laptop, and found a verrry nteresting error message.

The name "MSHOME		 :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.7. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.3 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

For clarification, *.7 is the laptop, *.3 is TOM.

tom_s

tom_s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm... It's working now. After finding that error message ^ I changed the laptops TCP/IP settings to have a static IP of *.5 instead of .7, and now it works. :S

Oh well, I'm not complaining lol :tazz:

tom_s

tom_s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, it's hapening again. Laptop can't access network shares on TOM or CENFIN, and likewise. It was working this morning, I restarted the laptop and now it doesn't.

It's getting very frustrating! I try accessing the V: drive on my laptop (mapped to '\\TOM\videos' and I get this error:

An error occured reconnecting V: to \\tom\videos

Microsoft Windows Network : The local device name is already in use.

The connection has not been restored.

tom_s

tom_s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nobody can help? It's still hapening.

tom_s

tom_s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't know what's more annoying, the above problem or the fact that I can't seem to find any help.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, Welcome to Geeks To Go :tazz:

Sorry nobody got to you.

I have had a simular problem, with file and printer sharing, but I was able to overcome the problem by a post by "OSC".

I suggest you try what he wrote to me in this post: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101925 (3 Posts from bottom).

Best of luck!

Edited by SuperSam, 20 March 2006 - 11:46 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Tom,

Generally speaking, most Staff members don't have time to read every topic, and so we target the topics with 0 replies. You made a number of replies to your own topic in a short period of time, subsequently boosting your number of replies; for this reason your topic was most likely overlooked, as it was assumed that you were recieving help already.

However, that being said, I completely agree with the reason and method behind your decision to reply to your own topic.. You were simply keeping us up-to-date, and so I'm not trying to blame you. You just need to understand that we don't usually look into every topic. So, in the future, if you have not recieved a reply after three days, then please make a post in The Waiting Room, as this is the first forum that the Staff look in.

As to your problem, does this error message occur constantly; ie: you can never connect to the Network Shares? Or, can you access the Shares once, and then are you unable to access them for a certain period of time (possibly until after multiple reboots), which then allows you to access the Shares once, and only once? Also, does this occur on all computers, or just the laptop?

Please restart all of the computer using Windows (Laptop, desktops, etc) into Safe Mode with Networking. Once you have all three in Safe Mode w/ Net, try to connect to the other computers with the FULL Path name... ie: \\TOM\videos\[A video File/a file in the folder] eg: \\TOM\videos\myMovie.wmv -- are you able to? If not, wait 60 seconds, then try again. If you still cannot, wait another 60 seconds and then try again; are you able to? Still no go?

If you were able to access the Shares whilst in Safe Mode, then please ignore any further steps, and simply let us know that you had access. If you were not able to, then please continue.

For all computers experiencing this problem, please download WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test. Still no go? Then continue...

Please right-click My Computer on your Desktop, and select Disconnect Network Drives -- do you see any mapped drives there? If you do, are they correct?

On all of the computers/laptop, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Thanks,
Dan.