Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot install any new firewall/antivirus

• Please log in to reply

mond

mond

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey Guys,

I am in a bit of a pickle here. When a while ago I accidently shredded some stuff I accidently interferred with
the anti virus and firewall applications that still appear on start up but wont actually run. If I try to upgrade as I did with zone alarm or download any other free trial software the machine goes into shut down and will not start up again.However the stuff I have is now useless but I CANNOT SEEM TO GET RID OF IT. I am told that I do not have permission. Add/Remove programmes will not delete. I would be happy to just buy new stuff and start again but they recognise the existing stuff which is lurking in the backround but not protecting me. Any ideas? I think my security is at risk. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try downloading zone alarm and selecting clean install not upgrade

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks Keith,
Tryed that but I thinks I am still in the same boat as there is an icon in the tray with a big yellow cross which
tell me True Vector is shut down even though I have just installed Zone alarm.
After installing the "configuring zone alarm" box stayed on the screen and did not go away and there was also a error message saying "v.smon.exe ordinal not found ... The ordinal 43 not located in the dynamic link library VSDATA.dll."
when I look at Start then programmes you can see zone alarm there.... I am just pretty sure it is not actually working as there is also a permenent message on the zone alarm control centre which reads in red letters.... SYSTEM ERROR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER..... next to the lock icon. Well the system has been restarted about 200 times since that message first appeared!
Something is definately up ! if I turn off XP Firewall it shows the red dangerlight and says Fire wall not found
which aslo makes me sure zone alarm is not doing anything.

p.s I also had to start computer with " last know good configuration" from f3 fab to get it to actually start up.

Edited by mond, 11 March 2006 - 02:16 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through everything here, which takes a while but provides a good base to work from

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD

System File Check will display an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Use search, include hidden and sysyem files, look for zone alarm and send any files to the recycle bin, reboot to check the PC runs without them, if so

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If you get access denied for any files, get Unlocker from my signature, have the option to use unlocker assistant and for it to run at start up, reboot, this should give you a wand icon in the taskbar, try to remove the files again

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi Keith,

well I am still on the running deframenter stage which is taking ages ! however I cannot see an XP Disc in my collection, I have microsoft one note microsoft works 7.0 and DVD Tools. I know it is XP! will any of these discs do or should i cancel the defragmenting. will any of the other stages still help without xp disc.?The laptop which I have was bought new and from pc world so is definately the authentic version. Shall I carry on anyway?

many thanks
Mond

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Let the defragmenter run, also run the system file check, if it needs a file it will ask for the CD, press skip and confirm, if it asks for the disc press cancel then at least you know there are a number of missing or corrupt system files. You can then borrow a same version as was installed to run the system file check, (if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD).

The other parts will run without a CD and will be of use here

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi Keith,

Just to let you know, I carried out most of the recomendations above and have now managed to ldelete zone alarm and a few other bits and bobs that were probably glogging things up and have even managed to re-install my complete f-secure security suite (antivirus & firewall) and got it updated via various downloads from f-secure, which I was unable to do before.
The result is that now not only can I start my pc first time but also I am protected from all those nasties!
So thanks again

all the best
Mond

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Cerrado

Cerrado

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi.. sorry for disturbing... i have the same problem that i cant install the antivirus program... so i follow the step... and i am stuck in the <Use search, include hidden and sysyem files, look for zone alarm and send any files to the recycle bin, reboot to check the PC runs without them, if so> step... can anyone explain clearly... isit start>search>folder and files>type <zonealarm> del all the file and folders>get denies use <unlocker>.. cause that is what i have done... but unlocker also cannot delete those file for me... so i continue with the tuneup utilities first... if any wrong... please tell me.. thank you very much...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Cerrado

Please start your own topic as this topic is now over 4 years old.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.