Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Isass.exe System Error

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Don't worry about important files, etc. I was about to do a System Recovery anyway before I read your first post. Fire away!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...new vistas have opened...

First choice...Do you want to while away a couple hours chipping away at a typically tough problem...with a complication... :tazz: OR Would a complete reinstallation be the better route?

Do you have all that you'll need to do the format and installation.

The version of windows you install must match your product key...so, if the cd you have came with your machine, that'll work.

The drivers for your hardware and other devices. Should be on cd either as part of a recovery set, or as third party cds. This would include software for the motherboard. If you are using a recovery set and have all the disks, that'll work.

Installation cd's for all the programs you have installed since acquiring the machine or at least those that you will want to use. If you have those, that'll work

If you have all that and don't mind losing what's on the hard drive now. Format and reinstall Windows.

Let me know what you think...

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Since you have been patient and have given of your valuable time, I ask that you decide. I've done a hard drive reformat on my desktop twice, and it is a royal pain. But I do have all the necessary CDs. If you desire a challange, I am willing to work with you. But since you are not being paid for your valuable time, this is something I would prefer you decide. And if you decide you would prefer not to go further, don't give it a second thought. I think I am more concerned about preventing this from happening again, which is why I am curious as to why it happened. In any event, it's your call.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That was a pretty slick turn around... :tazz:

I like a challenge...and I like to "bring 'em back alive". Gimme a bit to research the commands. :)

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
That's fine. I wait to hear from you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll try this the easy way first. To do this we need to change the prompt to C:...so...at the C:\WINDOWS\system32> prompt, type c:, and press "Enter".

Do you get a C:\ prompt ?

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Reason for the delay is that I have not been able to get another command prompt to come up so I am trying to replicate how I got there the first time. I am trying it by way of reinstalling xp. This will take a while as it is copying files now and is 35% done.

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 March 2006 - 07:13 PM.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
To answer your question: no. C: and enter only gets the same command prompt-C:\WINDOWS\system32>

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need to get to the root directory C:\ :tazz:

I hope you have a floppy drive????

Download this Win98SE OEM Startup Disk and save it to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. to create the Startup Disk.

Put the diskette you just created into the drive on the dead machine and power it on. It should boot to a DOS options screen...press Shift + F5 for command prompt (A:\)

When you get to the A:\ prompt, let me know.

Edited by wannabe1, 11 March 2006 - 07:41 PM.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
This may be the deciding blow. No floppy drive.

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 March 2006 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This would be the deciding blow. There are alternative ways to boot this, but as you have no important files, I'd go ahead and do a destructive recovery. That will format the drive and do a fresh install. No more setup loop, no more lsass error... :tazz:

Twas the setup loop that stopped us... :)

wannabe1

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks for your efforts. Have the rest of a good weekend and take care.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me know how you fare with the install...I always like a happy ending!

wannabe1

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I will do so.