Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Connectivity Problems!

• Please log in to reply

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Everyone

My computer has recently started to have unresponsive USB ports. It just randomly occured one day. I came back to plug in and charge my IPOD and my entire computer froze up and I was forced to reboot. I also recently purchased an external harddrive that is supposed to have plug and play capabilities and it causes the computer to freeze as well. I read somewhere that it may have to do with the Intel USB EHC (it is read as the Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - ICH5 in my device manager). When this particular USB device is disabled, I am able to plug in USB devices without the computer locking up. However, the computer either does not recognize it when plugged into a particular port or it states that the necessary driver software is not installed for the particular device when it is plugged into a different port. To clarify, my computer does recognize that something is plugged into its USB port when the enhanced port is disabled, but it will not be able actually use the device. This is a pretty frustrating anomaly especially since I'm not sure how it happened! I recently downloaded the win2000 SP4 and it still did not resolve the problem. Anything you guys can tell me will help. Thanks alot! :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Firstly, can you tell me whether you are mainly using the front USB ports or the rear USB ports?

Also, can you tell me what motherboard you have please? i.e Manufacturers name & model number if possible?

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Finally! Someone to the rescue! This problem occurs in all of my USB ports (two in the front, four in the rear). I'm currently using an ASUS Ai Series P4P800 SE motherboard with an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 processor. I also ran the latest Norton Anti-Virus and it came up with a W32.Spybot worm which has been known to affect the Microsoft Plug and Play capabilities. It has been deleted, my system rebooted, rescaned (virus free confirmed), and a microsoft security patch downloaded. However, the problem persists. I can't imagine it being a physical hardware problem, but I may open up the case to check it out. Oh, and I have also reinstalled all of the drivers for my ports several times, obtaining the drivers from both my ASUS motherboard disk and from Microsoft's SP4. Everything reloads properly except for when it starts to load my Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - ICH5. It keeps saying "An error occurred during installation of this device. System unable to find the file specified." or something like that. But when I look at the device manager, it says that the component is installed and functioning properly. I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my first post, but my computer locks up (pointer freezes in place and I'm forced to reboot) for when ANY usb device is plugged in. If you need anymore info, let me know! Thanks alot!!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, can you back to device manager please, expand the USB controllers branch & tell me exactly what is listed in there. Also let me know if anything in device manager has a red cross or a yellow exclaimation mark next to it.

Also check to see if there are any 'unknown' or 'other' devices.

BTW, I suggest that just for now, you don't use the front USB ports at all, only the rear ones. The front ports are sometimes more prone to static damage due to bad earthing etc & can, in turn, damage the motherboard.

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When "Universal Serial Bus controllers" is expanded, the following shows up under it:

- Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - ICH5
- Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
- Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
- Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
- Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
- USB 2.0 Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

Nothing with an exclamation, no unknown devices. If I were to disable the enhanced host controller and plug in a device, the device would show up as unknown. Also, when I boot up my computer, a RUNDLL error message pops up saying the D0CE0C16B1 module couldnt be found. I ran test for malware (vundofix) and nothing came up....I thought that it may have something to do with it, but if not, I can handle it later.

Edited by jsb2127, 12 March 2006 - 11:41 PM.

Molokai

Molokai

• Pip
  • 3 posts
"An error occurred during installation of this device. System unable to find the file specified." < ----- did this error occurred while you plugged 1 of our USB devices on the front usb port? I think you need to download this file - USBHCI.SYS since this normally happens to front usb ports issues on any computer.

Edited by Molokai, 14 March 2006 - 01:45 PM.

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That particular error message comes up on the final screen of the install/update window after reinstalling my USB ports. Keep in mind, my computer will not function when a USB device is plugged in and the enhanced controller is enabled. When it is disabled, and a usb device is plugged in, the system says that it does not recognize the device since it does not have the specific drivers for the device. The file USBUHCI.SYS should be installed on my computer since I am upgraded to SP4. The problem still persists nontheless. I only use my rear ports anyways.Keep em coming!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi jsb2127

Sorry I've not replied for a day or two.
Right, it looks like you do have malware - the rundll error message gave it away! Although the malware problem may not be causing your USB issues, we need to get that resolved first before carrying on.

Can you download & run Hijack This please (see link below for download).

http://www.majorgeek...wnload3155.html

Then start a new topic in the Malware forum & paste your HJT log into it. The link below will take you to the malware forum :

http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37

Once your system has been cleaned by the Malware experts, please return to this topic & let us know. If you still have the USB problem, then I will help you further.

Good luck

Samm

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, I meant to tell you, I cleared up my malware problem. I ran Ewido, CleanUp40, HiJackThis, and RegSeeker. After all that (whew!), I reinstalled SP4 to make sure my registry was legit. After rebooting, the error message is gone but the USB problem still persists! I swear, I've had some problems before, but nothing like this.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thats cool.

Can you try these things please:
Go back to device manager, expand USB Controllers branch, then for each Root Hub entry, select the root hub->properties->Power & check that the Total power available is 500mA. Repeat this check for each root hub in the list.
Next, in device manager, select the first USB Host Controller->properties->advanced-> then tick the 'Disable error detection' check box. Repeat this procedure for each Host Controller in the list.

Can you also check the Event log please. You may need to re-create the fault by plugging a USB device in & letting it lock up. Make a note of the time so yu can go back & check for entries in the event log for this time.

If you haven't already done so, power the system off & remove the power cord from the PSU. Leave off for a minute then reconnect & boot back up. This will reset the USB bus.

Can you also tell me :
what type of USB devices who have been connecting to test the system with (e.g mouse, camera etc)
Also, do you know if each of these devices are USB v1.1 or USB v2.0 devices?

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
All power is at 500mA for each port. I intentionally locked up my computer, turned it off, took out the power cord for a few, plugged it back in, and rebooted. I'm not sure what items to look for in the Event Viewer, but errors are being shown. I did not see any errors that occured when the computer locked up. Upon startup, errors are being shown from the sources Service Control Manager ("The DS1410D service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified" Event ID 7000), MSFTPSVC, SMTPSVC, W3SVC. The last three errors say that "The server was unable to register the administration tool discovery information."

Sorry I forgot to mention, but all ports are USB 2.0. When I first encountered the problem, I noticed my mouse (cordless optical USB Microsoft Intellimouse) was not working. The green light on its receiver was off. So I got my PS2 adapter and plugged it in the new port. I then plugged in my IPOD mini into various ports and noticed that it caused the system to hang up. Again, when the enhanced controller is disabled, it says it is an unknown device and it needs the drivers for it (which of course are on the system). The main device I'm using to test the ports is a brand new and clean 250gb external HDD (western digital in a metal gear box case). The HDD relies on its own power supply. Sometimes to test, I leave the USB plug plugged in, then I turn on the power switch to my HDD and then the computer will lock up.