Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2002 to Word 2002 Merge \Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

DaveyO

DaveyO

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have MS OfficeXP with Excel 2002 and Word 2002 running on WinXP OS.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet with 1,400 records and I want to merge this into a Word 2002 document. My goal is to create a vertical listing of companies. Each row in the Excel file consists of a company name, address, phone, etc.

I used the Mail Merge Toolbar to select the data file, then I have to select Recipients. There are no Recipients, I just want to create a directory listing like so:

Company 1
Address
City, State, ZIP
Phone
Fax
Website

Then this repeats down the page for each company.

Since there are no recipients, I just skip this step and go on to inserting the Merge fields into the document. When I view the preview, all the records show up one-after-another just fine.

However, when I click the merge button, Word just goes to a blank white screen and hangs.

I've tried repeating this scenario with a Excel data file of just 40 records and it still hangs.

I then repeated the setup again, but this time I clicked the Recipients button on the Merge Toolbar and I see it has selected all the records in the Excel datafile as the Recipients...but again, there are no recipients. I cleared all the tick marks and proceeded to inserting my Merge fields in the document. When I went to the preview, nothing shows up...aha! So, even if I skip the Recipients button, it just selects all the records in my Excel data file by default.

Okay, I'm totally dense, I'm sure, but why can't I just create a document that merges my data from the Excel data file without it hanging? Am I doing something terribly wrong? This whole Recipients thing seems so counter-intuitive for just merging data into a document that isn't being sent out like some mail merge letter.

Can anyone shed some light on this? If you need more info, just let me know.

:tazz: :)

P.S. I searched the word "Merge" in this forum for a previous solution, but couldn't find one.

Advertisements

DaveyO

DaveyO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I know I only posted the above questions an hour or so ago, but I had been trying to solve the problem for two full days.

I finally got fed up and just took all the Excel spreadsheet data and converted it into a MySQL database file. I then searched the web for a suitable PHP script and found a decent example script from an online tutorial right away. Bing, bang, boom! I had my data properly formatted and displaying correctly, with even empty fields surpressed, in about 3 minutes.

Why I tried to do this in MS Office, I'll never know, but hey...sometimes one forgets how painful a past relationship actually was. You just have to spend a few hours with the old partner to realize why you left in the first place :tazz: