Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Over writing Win98 with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

mdss27

mdss27

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am not a computer techno but tried to install Windows XP over Windows 98 becasue I wanted to upgrade the OS. I attempted to do this on my IBM desktop. Now I am dead in the water. When I start the computer (after what I thought was a successful install), it shows the Windows XP intial screen with the logo but freezes.

I think what I would like to do is completely uninstall any operating systems on the desktop and start fresh. I can get to a c:\ prompt but that is about it. What commands can I use to delete any OS's and start new?

thanks!
Mark

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will do that

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

When you install XP, use the default NTFS format, not quick and check it is creating RAW1 partition on C, if it is not, press the reset button and it will default to C