Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ati radeon 9550 system crash problem

• Please log in to reply

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, here we go! ati radeon agp graphics card problem

updated drivers for ati radeon 7500 to play new game however the card does not support the pixel shader version required - card works fine with new drivers installed.

changed graphics card from ati radeon 7500 to ati radeon 9550 to allow newer games to run. system boots to windows fine, card is recognised and drivers installed fine.

the problem is that the system randomly hangs up, however, doesnt always seem like a normal crash,

1st crash - black and white 2 is loading through splash screens, suddenly screen goes black and monitor light starts flashing as if system has been shut down. computer appears to be still running but cannot get anything to display on monitor

2nd crash - same as above but game gets slightly further through startup

3rd crash - system has booted to windows desktop, while navigating through start menu to load different game screen goes black and monitor light starts flashing as if system has been shut down. computer appears to be still running but cannot get anything to display on monitor

4th crash - tryed different game (Dawn of War) game loads ok. Continue to start playing, when level loads computer freezes with the exception of the mouse which has a black box surrounding it and can only be moved in a vertical direction

Brief System Spec.
----------------------
CPU - AMD Athlon 2000+
M/board - Gigabyte KT400
Ram - 512MB
Windows XP Home

Origonal Graphics Card - Ati Radeon 7500
New Graphics Card - Ati Radeon 9550

Driver Version - Catalyst v 5.8

I am pretty lost with this one, however i think the problem is driver related as after one of the crashes windows reported an error message stating it thinks the cause of the crash was the graphics driver, unfortunately i did not write down the name of the file in question.

Any ideas / help is much appreciated

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

This used to happen to me with an Nvidia TI500 card I used to have. Seems that the newest drivers didn't support the card... although Nvidia says it did. Turned out I had to use an older driver and after I loaded that, everything ran great.

You may need to downgrade your driver to an earlier version. How far back you need to go, I have no idea.

monkeymedia

monkeymedia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well ive tryed 6 different sets of drivers and the problem persists

To be honest i dont feel its worth all the time and hassle for a £60 gpu

The problem has now been resolved through the purchase of a Nvidia card

Cheers for the suggestions anyway

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Monkey, if you'd like to try that card with some different drivers, just as a chance, try OmegaDrivers: www.omegadrivers.net