Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Windows is starting up' really slow...

• Please log in to reply

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
And how do the "boot and nuke" process. I would have just normally formatted my HDD but I lost the software.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
All of it, can any of it be downloaded

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yeah a lot of it can be downloaded. I'm just gonna have to formulate a list of all my software. But is 'boot & nuke' just a term for wiping out my HDD with the windows cd or an actual process?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's a process, designed to write zeros to the drive with the intention of returning the drive to an as new condition, most hard drive manufacturer's have a tool which does this

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

The thing to watch is during the set up XP format, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C: and press the reset button if it is any different, then it will default to C

Download, install and run Everest Home Edition

Click + next to computer then summary

look on the right for a list of installed hardware, some will have links to the manufacturer's site for downloads

Then click software, installed programmes

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have Everest but never really took advantage of it. Thanks for the idea. But I'm gonna go on ahead and check out that link and start going about that boot & nuke since I might as well solve all the other small problems I'm having with this computer. Thanks for all the help and fast replies. You guys are the best...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot and Nuke will be a good move but do not run it until you are happy you have backed up all the data you need

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
iight den. Good lookin out.

EDIT: I actually have a copy of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Do you think it would be wise to give that a shot since I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor...?

Edited by Donarudo, 13 March 2006 - 07:43 PM.