Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 - Help and Support won't load.

• Please log in to reply

kr580

kr580

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
When I click Start > Help and Support I get this window.
Posted Image

Before, it said it couldn't find helpctr.exe but I did this (Go to Start/Run and type in: helpctr -regserver) as recommened by another site and it changed to the current message. I then did the Run > services.msc thing and Help and Support is nowhere to be found.

Help appreciated :tazz: - Kevin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Obviously it should be

[attachment=7168:attachment]

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Did that, reboot and it didn't work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type helpctr.exe then press enter

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Click start then run, type helpctr.exe then press enter

Gives me the same message as in the pic in my 1st post.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello kr580.

The following suggestion requires an XP CD. If you don't have one, you may not be able to do it. But if you do, it should work without any problems:

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the bottom, click on Tools. Scroll down until you see the entry called Reinstall Help and Support service. Highlight it by clicking on it. Now, at the bottom, click on GO. When it is done fixing, restart your computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 March 2006 - 08:30 PM.

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Didn't work. I get the same message.

And yes, I do have my XP CD so any procedures that require the CD are welcome.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's strange...

We can try a windows repair then, since you have the CD. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates.

Microsoft Update

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 March 2006 - 12:12 PM.